Author Topic: Brickwall? No! A concrete Bunker!  (Read 2998 times)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall? No! A concrete Bunker!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, you're confirming my worst fears, I not only have a concrete bunker but it's buried deep.
My only hope is someone recognises the names as being a part of their family and they have a family bible or personal records. Chances???  <<<SLIM ~ 0.

Are there any other records/avenues I could explore to try and find the family before they turn up in England?

Regards
Malcolm.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Are there any other records/avenues I could explore to try and find the family before they turn up in England?
None that spring to mind. As he was an ag lab there won't be any sasines or services of heirs, and there's not much likelihood of a newspaper announcement of the marriage.

I see that he was 38 in 1851, 48 in 1861 and 58 in 1871. That is very consistent, and points to him having been born some time between early April 1812 and late March 1813. Also the name Arthur is fairly unusual in Scotland. But there is no record of a baptism as far as I can see, so it does look like a fairly substantial brick wall.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
If you find baptisms for Old Monkland in that period - please shout out the good news.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Also the name Arthur is fairly unusual in Scotland. But there is no record of a baptism as far as I can see, so it does look like a fairly substantial brick wall.

True, I couldn't find any either, except his Spanish car in Edinburgh, ;D :o
You not given to understatements are you?  8)

Thanks for your efforts to track them down, much appreciated.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
If you find baptisms for Old Monkland in that period - please shout out the good news.

You'll be the first to know after my computer FT swallows them. :D

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 March 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »

You'll be the first to know after my computer FT swallows them. :D

lol  - not that it's a laughing matter eh?

I've had to piece my Old Monkland M(a)cKenzie line together via census, marr. certs, online articles and purchase of many (wrong) death certs.

Like you I had the (1850) marriage/banns of my Jane Mckenzie and as she'd moved westward after marriage, I had baptism records of all their offspring, except her first born son, John, who according to the 1861 census would have been born in 1851.

I hit pay dirt when I spotted that glasgowfamilyhistory.org had three pdf files online which listed pre 1855 baptisms.  Bingo... Jane and hubby John had had their first born baptised in St Andrew's By The Green Episcopal Green Church.

The other pdf files are listed as "Miscellaneous Presbyterian and Episcopal baptisms"

Good luck,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 March 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena, I'll check them out, any port in a storm etc. at this stage.

It is frustrating but if one couldn't laugh etc.

Regards,
Malcolm.

EDIT:: I downloaded two of the pdfs of St. Andrews in the Green but there's a problem. The names included seem to end with those beginning HOL.. The other two links seem to be inactive at the moment.

Rena if you still have the pdf you downloaded would you be kind enough to see if there are any WILSONs included, in particular Ann, B. Mar/Apr 1841 father Arthur Wilson, mother Ann ne้ Weir/Wier and James, B. 1843 (possibly '44) same parents. Many Thanks.

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 March 18 01:45 GMT (UK) »
On the webpage below, I used the links on the page to access the lists.
Using the surname "Wilson" is a bit long winded, as it picks up extras such as Wilson Street and Wilson Iron Works, so I used the search criteria for the years 1813, then 1814.  The baptism you're looking for isn't included in St. Andrews in the Green (Earlier volumes survive which are not included in this index).​.

As for the other lists.  It seems there's nothing wrong with your computer.   Frustratingly, from this sentence, it seems your time is not yet nigh "(Not all available volumes have yet been added to the index)".​

Here's the webpage so you can check for yourself.  I'm not a member of the FHS but maybe another rootschatter is and could ofer assistance.

https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Online-resources.aspx

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 March 18 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena, thanks for the link. I've managed to download all four files, yes they all worked!
At a quick glance my errant bodies are not there. The St Andrew's list definitely stop at Holmes. I'll contact the Archives later today and see if that is a true case or if there is a problem.
Many thanks for your help. I'll get there in the end.

Regards, Malcolm

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.