Author Topic: Helen Marshall  (Read 906 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Marshall
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, not sure if someone can help with a puzzle. I'm searching for the family of Helen Marshall but I don't have much to go on. Helen or Ellen was born in Scotland but came to Tasmania in November 1859 on the BROOMIELAW, as an assisted migrant where she married Sidney Marshall. She died in Cleveland , Tasmania in 1922 aged 83 ,which gives me a birth date of 1839. On the passenger list she seems to have travelled with Susan Marshall aged16, Ellen is given as 20 years old. I always thought they may have been sisters. I found a number of Ancestry trees for Susan which gives her birth as 1842, Midlothian, Scotland . I also found an 1841 census record on FamilySearch that lists Helen Marshall aged 3, residence St Cuthberts, Midlothian, but that's all, I haven't been able to find any other records, I know it's a long shot and I haven't got a lot of info. Can anyone help please?
Cheers Craig

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Marshall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Can you confirm that Marshall was both her maiden and married surnames?

There is a Helen Marshall, pupil at Donaldson's School for the Deaf, in the 1851 Census, aged 9 and born Midlothian.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
This is Helen in 1841 that you refer to:

Alexander Marshall   30      Gardener
Catherine Marshall   30
James Marshall 5
Peter Marshall 3
Helen Marshall 2

In 1851 family are in Melrose, Roxburghshire:

Alexander Marshall 45  widower   Gardener    B. Roxburghshire
Daniel Marshall 18                                            ditto
James Marshall 14                                            ditto
Peter Marshall 12                                        b. Leith, Midlothian
Helen Marshall 11                                       b. Edinburgh, Midlothian

Can only find a baptism on familysearch for Peter Marshall b.28/6/1837, bp.6/8/1837 South Leith, son of Alexander Marshall and Catherine Gammell.

Cannot find any of them after 1851 on census, no baptisms for the other children, and no marriage between Alexander and Catherine!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, thanks for your replies, I can confirm that Helen's maiden name was Marshall. Also the name James on the census makes some sort of sense, there is a James Marshall who is witness to both Helen and Susan's marriages in Tasmania. I think James and Peter may have arrived in Tasmania in 1857, I think they were passengers on "The Plymouth" from Glasgow from memory.
Cheers Craig