Author Topic: LOWES Family of Corsenside and Dueshill - actual houses lived in?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOWES Family of Corsenside and Dueshill - actual houses lived in?
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear all

I am trying to find out the actual houses / farms that my ancestors lived in, and what these buildings are called now / what remains. I've got quite confused and I think someone who has local knowledge or access to old maps of the area may be able to help please.

Benjamin Lowes (1764-1852) married Elizabeth Heron (1766-1851)

in 1841 census they lived at 'Craig', parish of Corsenside. They had one household, and each of their 2 sons with their associated families had another 2 households, also listed as 'Craig', Corsenside. The sons are their 2 eldest, Nicholas Lowes (1792-1873) and Robert Lowes (1791-1855). I have read somewhere that this was a Bastle House, but I am not sure. These 3 households are the only households I can see listed in 1841 as Craig.

in 1851 census Benjamin and wife Elizabeth have moved in with their son Nicholas. It appears that they have moved, but again, I am not sure if it is the same place but listed differently.
It is now 'Woodhouse', Dueshill. The 2 brothers Nicholas and Robert are both listed as this, each as 2 households with their associated families. Nicholas is showing as a farmer of 900 acres with 4 labourers, so presumably reasonably well off? I wondered if he had inherited the farm from his father Benjamin and how I could find out if Benjamin also had this amount of land. Woodhouses appears to have definitely been a Bastle, but there were also cottages. I wondered if they lived in the cottages and the bastle was owned by them, on their land, or if they lived in the Bastle itself.

In another post it has been indicated that Woodhouses Farm is now called Holystone Grange, but I am still not sure if this is correct, or indeed if this is the building they were in. If it is, its very grand!

Any help please with identifying the actual 1841 and 1851 residence, and where Benjamin and Elizabeth were living prior to this / did they own a large farm, would be greatly appreciated. It certainly looks like a beautiful and historic area in the Coquet Valley.

kind regards
Christian

the bastle is still there , have a nice photo.
the Woodhouses Farm and cottage is now called Holystone Grange on modern os maps. but its down as a farm on the maps of 1866 approx.
Have pictures of Craig , talked to the owners father  and Colwellhill where Edward was a shepherd and the pub
Cloe
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LOWES Family of Corsenside and Dueshill - actual houses lived in?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
You can see Woodhouses on the map and the modern view at http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=55.2980&lon=-2.0542&layers=6&right=BingHyb
It is now called Holystone Grange? https://goo.gl/maps/nCBYRNFq5912
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
It is called Dues Hill Grange on the 1923 map and Holystone Grange on the 1957 map
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/396638/600369/10/101324
Listed Building https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101155740-holystone-grange-harbottle#.WrKLO-jFLIU

You can see that there is a Peel, or Pele, Tower marked on the map.
Stan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, this confirms that Woodhouses, Dueshill Grange and Holystone Grange are all one and the same place, with the Woodhouses Bastle in its grounds. It does appear that my ancestors the Lowes lived in the Grange house.

Is ‘Craig’ an entirely different place nearby?
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Is this ‘Craig’ Corsenside do you think?

http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2625.html

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
That will be it see https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/393710/599871/10/101337 it is to the west of Woodhouses.

Stan

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Nicholas is showing as a farmer of 900 acres with 4 labourers, so presumably reasonably well off? I wondered if he had inherited the farm from his father Benjamin and how I could find out if Benjamin also had this amount of land.

Wills/Probate
Pre 1858, Durham and Northumberland available at http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php
linked to images on Family Search and are free

Post 1858 Probate Calendars here:
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
If there is a will/admin there is a fee for copies (£10)

Boo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Boo, thank you so much, I had no idea about this. I’ve got loads of people to search for now!

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found the will for Elizabeth Herons father, but can’t seem to find one for Benjamin Lowes - which means he likely died intestate, yes?