Author Topic: find a divorce in UK  (Read 2141 times)

Offline dobyone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
find a divorce in UK
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am seeking your help because I am looking for a copy of a full divorce ceertificate that took place in the UK in November 1971
To day I do not yet know the place? I know only the name of parties
Is there in UK a database to find this type of documents, and if so what is the internet link,
Thank you in advance for your advice
Regards

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: find a divorce in UK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
The powers that the Divorce Court had, in 1873, was transferred to the Probate Divorce and Admiralty Division of the High Court and in 1970, that Division became the Principal Registry of the Family Division. This moved from Somerset House to First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP, in 1998.
The Divorce Registry at First Avenue House holds a Central Index of Decrees Absolute, regardless of where granted, from 1858 to date. The indexes are in the form of lists fronting boxes of decrees, 1858-1946, on microfiche 1947-69 and on computer from 1981. They are not public documents but will be searched by the officials on payment of fees. The search fee (set in 1995) is £20 and covers a three-year search whilst you wait, or a 10-year search if a delay is acceptable or application is made by post. A certificate of the decree absolute or of the negative result of the search is then issued. Decree Absolute search forms, Form D440, may be downloaded from HM’s Courts and Tribunals Service’s website http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk or obtained from the Family Proceedings Department (Room 2.03) at the Principal Registry of the Family Division. Should the search reveal that the decree was made by a divorce county court, a copy of the certificate would be available from that court.

The decree provides legal proof of a divorce, but the information contained is minimal. It usually shows the date and place of marriage, the names of the parties, and in general terms, without specifying the details, the supporting fact upon which the decree is based.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dobyone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you very much for your aid

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
iluleah has posted a concise history of the service but the costs have now risen to £65 for a ten year search.

HMCTS at Holborn regularly do not offer a three year search while you wait because of their workload.

From experience, 'recent' decrees absolute rarely show the supporting fact as to why the divorce has taken place.

Unless you require the decree absolute for legal reasons, I would use the £65 towards something else that contains greater genealogical information.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am seeking your help because I am looking for a copy of a full divorce ceertificate that took place in the UK in November 1971
To day I do not yet know the place? I know only the name of parties
Is there in UK a database to find this type of documents, and if so what is the internet link,
Thank you in advance for your advice
Regards

Where in the UK - the information given applies only to England & Wales  - articles 10 and 11 in the first link provided by Rosie99
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/
provides links should the divorce have occurred in Scotland or Northern Ireland