Author Topic: Date photo of Unknown - could be Stobbs from South Shields  (Read 501 times)

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
Date photo of Unknown - could be Stobbs from South Shields
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Can any one date this photo? The photographer has name at bottom of photo -  'Speed Photo Co' of No and So Shields. Thank you.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date photo of Unknown - could be Stobbs from South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat..1920s and possibly into the 1930s would be my guess.

Added:

If you would like the photo restoring it is a good idea to amend the title of your post to attract the restorers.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Clean up...

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Carol.

You can see some (and for £1.95 buy more) info on Speed Photo
at http://www.victorianphotographers.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=speed&_a=viewCat&Submit=.

Speed Photo is listed in North Shields, and a number of times in South Shields and Durham. £1.95 buys you the address and years of operation. I haven't used the website.

The years of operation probably won't add much but it's just possible that there's a start or end date that falls between 1915 and 1935 and could narrow down the photo date range.

Judging from the background, this is a 'studio photo' rather than one taken at home. So the person in the photo would have travelled (I suspect no great distance) to the studio address. So 'South Shields fits one of the studio locations.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Mike, Thanks for the information.  I shall check it out.