Author Topic: Need help - Eliza TEE nee HOY /SLACK  (Read 799 times)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
Need help - Eliza TEE nee HOY /SLACK
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm decent at solving problems but this one is breaking me.

Not an ancestry but in my tree - I want to trace back Eliza's origins:

In August 1843, Eliza SLACK married ex-convict William TEE by Banns with the consent from 'friends' (Eliza was under 21) - the marriage was probably in Bathurst but the bride and groom lived in O'Connell Plains.

While the marriage certificate stated her name to be Eliza SLACK, their daughter  Sarah TEE's birth certificate in 1857 states the mothers name to be "Eliza HOY afterwards TEE".

Eliza TEE died in 1871 aged 45 years of 'exposure and intemperence' in June 1871 on the road between Tambaroora and Hill End. Eliza's death certificate listed her father as "Samuel HOY, a soldier"  with mother not known. Eliza's place of birth is given as "Chesire, England" and had been 34 years in New South Wales, so arrived from overseas probably aged around 11 in 1836 or so.

Given this patchy information, it seems likely Eliza was born to a soldier named Samuel HOY, and arrived in NSW with her father/family when he was posted there. But why the name Eliza SLACK at marriage - it is possible that Eliza was a widower at marriage to William TEE, however this is not stated on the certificate, and given that she was 17 or so it seems unlikely - there are no marriages that fit in the NSW BDM records either. Furthermore, her death certificate doesn't list two marriages.

So perhaps Eliza was born to Samuel HOY and mother, and the mother re-married a man named SLACK when she was very young and Eliza acquired the surname.

Any ideas? I've really dug deep, but possibly the regimental association is making it tricky.

More info on my blog here:
http://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com/2010/03/sarah-trevithick-nee-tee-death.html
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Need help - Eliza TEE nee HOY /SLACK
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to locate the birth in England from parish records? If not, perhaps a post or link on the Cheshire forum could help? Just a thought.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 03:07 GMT (UK) »
No Voltaire1694 I don't have that connection back to Cheshire yet. There are one or two candidates but they don't fit the HOY/SOLDIER statements. There are barracks in Cheshire, and in my ancestor lines with regimental associations, children are baptized in parishes near barracks - wherever they happen to be posted in the UK.

I don't see a likely Chelsea Pensioner entry - but that's because I'm assuming Samuel Hoy died rather than being pensioned.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 05:52 GMT (UK) »

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate, 1843.

Does Eliza sign her name...or make her mark.

Birth certificate, 1857.........who is the informant......does it give birthplace of mother.

Who is informant for her death certificate?

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if there is any connection but........ Convicts sometimes had families join them?
Sarah SLACK, a servant from Cheshire, arrived in 1835 on the ship MARY and sent to Newcastle Goal.
ref. Newcastle Gaol Entrance Book. State Archives NSW; Roll: 136
https://www.jenwilletts.com/

Essie

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 18 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all - i've now updated that blog post with certificates and transcriptions:
http://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-mystery-of-where-eliza-slack-hoy.html

Witnesses are 'friends' - certainly no names relevant to family tree and the approval is 'by Friends'.

Eliza makes her mark, and is 17.

Birth certificate of their daughter in 1857 - husband is informant (same as for wife's death cert in 1871), and details are consistent between both. Cheshire England stated on both as Eliza's birthplace.

Informant on death certificate is Eliza's husband William Tee.

So same informant on both certificates, same information given.