Author Topic: Drowned at low tide  (Read 2098 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drowned at low tide
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a Jean D'Assigny, buried in St. Martins, Jersey in 1655. He was 3 years old, and it is noted in the register that he drowned “at low tide”. Why would this be noted? Does it have any special significance?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drowned at low tide
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 18 08:57 GMT (UK) »
It is less easy to drown at low tide, and he was only 3 years old - I guess that's the point?

Have you seen this thread? http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163869.0
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Children of that age have been known to drown in a puddle of water.
It's acknowledged by persons who study child drownings (my former boss was one such medico) that it takes only three inches to drown anyone!
Think of an unconscious person, face down.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
It is less easy to drown at low tide, and he was only 3 years old - I guess that's the point?

Have you seen this thread? http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163869.0

Thanks for the link. I already have the information on there, and on Jeripedia.

I did think that drowning at low tide would be more unusual, but I didn't know if it related to anything local to St.Martins.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Children of that age have been known to drown in a puddle of water.

It does make me wonder what a three year old was doing down by the coast (his parents lived at St.Martins - his father was the rector - about 15 min walk from the sea), and whether he was alone or just got away from being supervised. I wonder if he was playing with older children, or had gone with people involved in some industry/foraging?