Author Topic: Burial of Emily Crooke  (Read 3124 times)

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of Emily Crooke
« on: Thursday 22 March 18 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I study an Shakespere's Birthday Book with some 800-900 autographs in. Many are Irish that lived and died in Scotland others Scottish and from around the world.
One person being the Rev Milward Crooke 1828 died 1901 Newington Registration 685/5 Civil Parish Edinburgh Morningside.
His wife Emily Crooke 1838 nee Hackett I can only presume was intered with her husband.
She last lived at 41 Morningside Park Edinburgh EH10 5EZ.
Would have been some years after her husbands passing.
I was unable to find if Emily was buried with her late husband Milward Crooke.
Could someone verfiy this for me. Kind regards Shane Duffy Christchurch NZ.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Emily Crooke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
First, there is no death in the Scottish death indexes of an Emily Crooke, other name Hackett, and no death that looks even possible for her. There are some deaths on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl that could be her.

I looked at www.deceasedonline.com but there is no mention of Milward Crooke. There are some Emily Crookes but I do not have enough information to know if one of them is Milward's widow.

I thought there might have been a funeral notice in The Scotsman that might at least say which cemetery he was interred in, but I did not find one. It could, of course, still be there, but unrecognised by the OCR system. I did find two obituaries and one death notice for three of his sons, all in the Army.

The records of burials in most cemeteries in Edinburgh are in the care of the City of Edinburgh Council. It used to be possible to make an appointment to go and view the books for a cemetery specified in advance, but this is no longer the case. Without knowing which cemetery, it gets very difficult.

See http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records/1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi There cant help with the burial but probate record for Emily Hackett or Crooke has her death as  12th December 1921 address 12,Grange Road West Bromich Staffordshire

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Scotland National Probate lists some of her previous addresses
41,Morningside Park Edinburgh
9,Glengyle Terrace Tullymore Park Armagh ,Ayrfield Raheny County Dublin

And where she died The Arkill Home 12,Grange Road West Bromwich Staffordshire

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi There cant help with the burial but probate record for Emily Hackett or Crooke has her death as  12th December 1921 address 12,Grange Road West Bromich Staffordshire
The fact that it gives her maiden and married surnames, and that it was sealed at London, means that the original legal procedure was a confirmation in the Scottish Courts. (There is no such procedure as probate in Scots Law; the correspnding process is Confirmation. 'Probate' is meaningless in Scotland.)

And indeed there is such a confirmation: 2/3/1922 Crooke or Hackett, Emily, 41 Morningside Park, Edinburgh, afterwards 9 Glengyle Terrace Edinburgh, Tullymore Park, Armagh, Ayrfield, Raheny, County Dublin, afterwards The Akrill Home, 12 Grange Road, West Bromwich, widow, d. 08/12/1921 at The Akrill Home, testate. Edinburgh Sheriff Court Wills SC70/4/556.

You can download a copy of her will, and of her husband's death certificate, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There must be a reason why she moved to a home in the English Midlands - perhaps to be near a son or daughter in her final years?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 18 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Scotland National Probate lists some of her previous addresses
41,Morningside Park Edinburgh
9,Glengyle Terrace Tullymore Park Armagh ,Ayrfield Raheny County Dublin

And where she died The Arkill Home 12,Grange Road West Bromwich Staffordshire

Rosie
Thank you very much

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »

Rosie
Thank you very much

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 March 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
First, there is no death in the Scottish death indexes of an Emily Crooke, other name Hackett, and no death that looks even possible for her. There are some deaths on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl that could be her.

I looked at www.deceasedonline.com but there is no mention of Milward Crooke. There are some Emily Crookes but I do not have enough information to know if one of them is Milward's widow.

I thought there might have been a funeral notice in The Scotsman that might at least say which cemetery he was interred in, but I did not find one. It could, of course, still be there, but unrecognised by the OCR system. I did find two obituaries and one death notice for three of his sons, all in the Army.

The records of burials in most cemeteries in Edinburgh are in the care of the City of Edinburgh Council. It used to be possible to make an appointment to go and view the books for a cemetery specified in advance, but this is no longer the case. Without knowing which cemetery, it gets very difficult.

See http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records/1
Thank you very much

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 March 18 06:11 GMT (UK) »
The fact that it gives her maiden and married surnames, and that it was sealed at London, means that the original legal procedure was a confirmation in the Scottish Courts. (There is no such procedure as probate in Scots Law; the correspnding process is Confirmation. 'Probate' is meaningless in Scotland.)

And indeed there is such a confirmation: 2/3/1922 Crooke or Hackett, Emily, 41 Morningside Park, Edinburgh, afterwards 9 Glengyle Terrace Edinburgh, Tullymore Park, Armagh, Ayrfield, Raheny, County Dublin, afterwards The Akrill Home, 12 Grange Road, West Bromwich, widow, d. 08/12/1921 at The Akrill Home, testate. Edinburgh Sheriff Court Wills SC70/4/556.

You can download a copy of her will, and of her husband's death certificate, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There must be a reason why she moved to a home in the English Midlands - perhaps to be near a son or daughter in her final years?
Thank you very much