Author Topic: Louisa Paul b Q2 1874 Battersea, London m Canada  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Paul b Q2 1874 Battersea, London m Canada
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 March 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
My research us about the Healey family and Louisa is one of the children of Eliza who m David Paul or Poll. Theirs is a strange history and has appeared on here in the London, England forum as Eliza Healey. Looking at the various UK censuses and workhouse records, it seems to me that Eliza separated from David and claimed to be a widow; I think she may have passed away  in 1902 but he lived to be 85 and d 30 Nov 1918 in the workhouse in Greenwich.It seems strange to me that Louisa was the only one that was 'sent' to Canada. Although in hindsight her 2 brothers Edward and Henry who were b  1877 and 1879 are missing from the UK after 1881 census?
I'm very interested to know why there are no records about Louisa after her marriage to John Minns, surely there should be a record in Canada of her 2nd marriage or passing considering her age? I don't know her exact dob as there is no record online for her other than Q2 1874 which means Apr-June or maybe earlier in the year.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Paul b Q2 1874 Battersea, London m Canada
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 April 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
I e-mailed a person with access to the home child records regarding Louisa and the reply was:
I do have a little information for you about what happened to Louisa after she arrived in Canada, which was extracted from the 1890 Annual Report of Miss Rye’s Emigration Home for Destitute Little Girls (located at Peckham, South London) viz

Entry No 43 “L.P., aged 13, father dead, mother dangerously ill. To Mr S.J.H., Farmer, Charing Cross, Ontario. Servant. If good and trustworthy, treated as one of the family”
Unfortunately, as you may know, the records for Miss Rye’s children are lost and believed to have been destroyed following Miss Rye’s retirement in 1896 – it might be worth trying to find “Mr S.J.H.”, occupation Farmer, in the 1891 Ontario Census and see if Louisa was still with him then.

I am afraid that I am not able to help you with the fate of her brothers Edward & Henry James, other than to say that I could not find either of them listed in the Home Children Database, on the Library & Archives of Canada website.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.