Author Topic: National Probate Calendar entries - no place of death  (Read 632 times)

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Probate Calendar entries - no place of death
« on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Regarding entries in the National Probate Calendar:

Many entries record the place of residence AND the place of death.

If a place of residence is recorded but NO place of death, is it always the case that death occurred at the residence?

Mark

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: National Probate Calendar entries - no place of death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I've always found that. Often the place of residence is their usual address and the place of death is a hospital. Just checked and my relations who died at home just have place of residence.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be a general rule, but I don't think we can take it for granted.  My great-uncle died while visiting the family in Northern Ireland, but the probate calendar gives just his address in Hampshire.

A newspaper announcement can sometimes provide more detail.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be a general rule, but I don't think we can take it for granted.  My great-uncle died while visiting the family in Northern Ireland, but the probate calendar gives just his address in Hampshire.

A newspaper announcement can sometimes provide more detail.

Or better still the death certificate.  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Probate information doesn't give place of death, it tells you 'normally' their place of residence and court where probated.
A death certificate tells you  place of death.

Some examples from my own research
My father was transferred to a hospital in the next county, where he died, death cert states that. Probate registry tell you his address of residence and the probate was registered in yet another different county ( which he had no relationship to)

My great aunts first husband died in one country, death cert shows that, he lived in Glasgow Scotland, his Will was probated in London England ( as he had property/business in England)

My grandmothers probate states her residential address in Nottinghamshire, she died in hospital in Lincolnshire, court of probate was Manchester, she was cremated in Lincolnshire and ashes buried in Nottinghamshire.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MWG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your insightful replies - they are most useful.

Mark

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Probate information doesn't give place of death, it tells you 'normally' their place of residence and court where probated.

Some entries in the National Probate Calendar do give place of death, or at least town/village/city,  along with the date of death.  Mainly earlier on after it was first introduced.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
From 1858 to 1996 many Probate entries DO show both the place of residence and the place of death if different. Since the majority of people died at home the two place are one and the same, so only the home  address is shown.

This meant  I have been able to discover the hospital, or other place of death, for a lot people where the relationship was too distant to warrant the cost of a death certificate.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Many of the Lewisham cemetery entries contain both residence and place of death.  I have found the corresponding probate index entry usually only has the normal residence.  I have also come across probate records which do contain both but they appear to be in the minority in my experience.

Not all cemetery records record both, but worth checking.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.