Author Topic: Elspet Jane PIRIE  (Read 4880 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elspet Jane PIRIE
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 March 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Annette,

I am obviously going to have to look at this again. I apologise if I have offended you and Monica - tat was NOT my intention at all.  I admit I haven't got round to finding the 1881 and 1891 censuses you mention, but will do so shortly. If they are not on Ancestry, I have a friend who has FindMyPast and they might be there.

But I did find an Elsie Pirie aged 17 at 31 Bank Street, Old Machar as a domestic servant in 1881.
(ED38/148/123). That could tie in with Elspet aged 7 with her family in 1871.

Sometimes I find I can't think outside the box quick enough with conundrums like this!!!
Thank you again,
Suzie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 23 March 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I admit I haven't got round to finding the 1881 and 1891 censuses you mention, but will do so shortly. If they are not on Ancestry, I have a friend who has FindMyPast and they might be there.
They are not on either Ancestry or FindMyPast, though one or other of those, or indeed Family Search, or all three, may have a transcription or index (both of which may contain errors). The originals are only available at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, and they may contain information not included in the transcriptions or indexes on those web sites.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jacqui in Warwickshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 March 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Could this all be caused by minister/registrar in 1900s deciding that Elsie must be a nick-name and that Elsie's real name ought to be Elspet?  When transcribing you come across nicknames, or family names ... and now and then a minister will decide that it really ought to be "a proper name" so Sukey becomes Susannah, Sally to Sarah...and in my family, Maggie became Margaret...!

Mumblings...

Jacqui

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 March 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Quite possibly. Elsie originated as a pet name for Elspet(h) so it's not unreasonable. But such names should never be 'corrected' by a trabscriber - they should be transcribed as written.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 23 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/special-collections/documents/NHS%20Grampian%20Archives%20-%20DPA%20Factsheet.pdf
Luckily records are only closed for 75 years for a deceased person & not 100 years. Click on this link to read more.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Jacqui in Warwickshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 March 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I could not agree more about transcribing names as written; unfortunately clerks and clerics did not always use the form of the name that the family used!  Get a change of cleric in a parish and suddenly the given names change: Henry becomes Harry, and so on. 

A query at a recent help desk took some time to unravel: England/Wales GRO indexers in 1917 converted the L in a surname to T, making a completely different, and existing, surname!  It happens...

Jacqui

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 March 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Luckily records are only closed for 75 years for a deceased person & not 100 years. Click on this link to read more.
Oh, good. I was sure it was 100 at one time because I wasn't allowed to look at one set of records for someone who died in about 1915. 75 is an improvement on that!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 March 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
A number of other main findings make me confident you are on the right line with the family of John Findlay and Jane Pirie that we have been discussing.

You have a birth cert in 1879 in Aberdeen for a Elspet Jane Findlay to these parents. This age and birth place fits with her census entries and marriage and death regs.

You have her in the 1881 and 1891 censuses with her family.

The witnesses at her marriage in 1900 to David Wilson Nicol. One is likely her brother in law, James Williamson. The other, James Jamieson, likely also acted as witness to sister Catherine's wedding to James Williamson.

Other sister Maggie (could this be a source to the name Elsie gave to daughter born before she married?) called one of her daughters born 1906, Elsie Nicol Thomson.

These are just some of the things we have been discussing above.

Monica

ADDED: If you, I would certainly follow up on flst's suggestion on medical records.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 March 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much...I am feel as if I am on track now (minus the name Elspeth!!!!!!!)
We'll be in touch.
Suzie