Author Topic: Elspet Jane PIRIE  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Jacqui in Warwickshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elspet Jane PIRIE
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello list

Overnight, Suzie allowed me sight of the assembled copy records [thank you everyone for sharing] and this is my personal conclusion...

Elsie Jane is born as that.  The first occurrence of her as Elspet Jane is her marriage, and from then on, on official documents, she is Elspet Jane.  Why?  Did she dislike Elsie and revert to Elspet?  Or did the minister at her marriage suggest/decide that Elsie was the diminutive form of Elspet and that Elspet is what she SHOULD use "officially"?  There is no doubt that Elsie Jane is Elspet Jane from evidence of age, birth registration, parents on census, etc.

But why was ‘Elspet Jane’ given as Elsie Jane’s mother?  Elsie Jane and her sisters (from their marriages) knew their mother was “plain Jane”.  My personal take is that either the minister, or the registrar, made an error and simply used the bride’s name also as the mother’s name.  Once set in ink, it was taken as being hard evidence…until proved otherwise.  And that proving was only possible thanks to help of several Listers!

It boils down to not relying on one single record - even of "official" one - without supporting evidence!  And this copy marriage registration had two misleading items, so pick every document apart and find other evidence because even registrars and clerics can get it wrong when copying details!

Jacqui