Author Topic: Elspet Jane PIRIE  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elspet Jane PIRIE
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
On FindMyPast in 1901 John Findlay is shown as married - searched for Jane and closest I found was a Jane Findlay 52 - married - shown as a patient.   No birthplace given, nor address just in regn. district of Old Machar, Aberdeen.   Can't find corresponding entry on ancestry.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Could well be her, Annette.

From her death reg in 1922, she looks to have been ill for many years. John Findlay, shows as a labourer and already deceased.

We need some other family connection that refers to him as a gasworks labourer to link more directly to Elsie...

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Going back a little, this was the 1891 Findlay entry:

John Findlay 46
Jane Pirie Findlay 43
Catherine Ann Findlay 18
John Findlay 15
Maggie Findlay 15
William Findlay 13
Elsie Ann Findlay 12
James Findlay 10
Isabella Findlay 5
Mary Findlay 3

Address: 14 Chapel Lane, Aberdeen

Sister Catherine Ann married in 1896 to a James Williamson. Wondering if this is the same James Williamson who was one of the witnesses to the marriage of Elsie and David in 1900?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »

Witnesses were James Jamieson and James Williamson.

A witness to the marriage of Catherine Ann to James Williamson was also a James Jamieson...

Father John back to showing as a seaman, merchant service. Likely he took the work on as it came.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 March 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Sister Maggie married an Alexander Thompson in 1899. She called one of her daughters b. 1906...Elsie Nicol Thompson.

www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/margaret-findlay_51926886

Monica

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 March 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you will be able to trace the admission records to the Aberdeen Royal Lunatic Asylum! One of my ancestors was admitted in 1900 & stayed there till his death in 1917. The archivist game me lots of information on him. Aberdeen University (special collections) can be emailed, & a request made to Fiona Musk about the information available.
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 March 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you will be able to trace the admission records to the Aberdeen Royal Lunatic Asylum! One of my ancestors was admitted in 1900 & stayed there till his death in 1917. The archivist game me lots of information on him.
You may have to wait a while - IIRC you are not allowed to see records of people who died less than 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 March 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
To Monica and Annette.
Thank you for all your input so far.
Annette...I saw your suggestion of John and Jane. I too downloaded that birth of Jane Pirie and saw the parent's marriage noted on there. Dowloaded that too but it is not the right family because Jane Pirie named her parents as Alexander Pirie and Jane MS Thain (I think it was). Elspet's parents were William Pirie and Jane DUNN. In addition, it cannot have been my Elspet that married in Portsoy in 1872 as she would only have been 9 years old!!

Every time Elspet mentioned her parents in documents, they are down as Elspet Jane Pirie and John Findlay.
Mother Elspet Jane b 1863. Parents William Pirie and Jane Dunn.
Daughter Elspet Jane b 1879 Parents John Findlay and Elspet Jane Pirie
The daughter did sign her name as Elsie Findlay on her own daughter's birth certificate.

I now need to look at all the other responses.
Thank you to you both and everyone....we'll get there in the end.

Suzie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 March 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - what I posted was not a 'suggestion' but fact!   Both Monica and I have explained step by step what the actual facts are.

Yes, on her marriage and death certificate it states her mothers name as Elspet Jane Pirie which you seem to cling to.  Perhaps she grew up believing she was named after her mother hence entering her mothers name this way.  Who can say?

Yes, there was one Elspet Jane Pirie born in 1863 to a William Pirie and Jane Dunn.   However, after 1871 this person 'disappears' from all records - indeed, not on census, not on marriages, no death that I can find (and not with family in 1881).  You, yourself, have not been able to find her either, hence the reason for this post.

Fact - when David Nicol married in 1900 the bride gives her name as Elspet Jane Findlay - however, there is no birth for an Elspet Jane Findlay ca. 1879, nor indeed an Elspet Jane Pirie (if had been born illegitimately).   Likewise, there is no John Findlay married to an Elspet Jane Pirie.   This whole 'dilemma' seems to be because of the use of 'Elspet' - she was actually born Elsie Jane Findlay and her father was indeed a John Findlay, and her mother a Pirie who was actually plain Jane Pirie and not an Elspet Jane.

We can't force you to believe us, of course - can only give you the actual facts which are that Elspet Jane Findlay who married David Nicol was actually Elsie Jane Findlay, and that her parents were John Findlay and plain Jane Pirie - she is on the census with them in 1881 and 1891.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk