Author Topic: Road name change in 1890s Ealing, West London  (Read 480 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Road name change in 1890s Ealing, West London
« on: Thursday 22 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Road name change in 1890s Ealing, West London

Alexandra Road, Ealing Dean, West London, 1891 census, became Alexandria Road on Electoral Rolls after about 1894, possibly to avoid confusion with Alexander Road, Brentford, 3 miles south.  This statement is supported by contemporaneous maps at Oldmaps.co.uk

As maps are inevitably out of date by the time they are published, i would welcome any help in pin-pointing when the change took effect.  Thanks,

Martin

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Road name change in 1890s Ealing, West London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Martin, this is a great collection here on street names etc. www.maps.thehunthouse.com/London_Miscellany.htm

Unfortunately, does not pick up on what you are looking for.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Are you certain there was ever a formal decision to change the name?   It's like in my part of the country asking when Birch Grove Crescent changed to Birchgrove Crescent.  People would use either spelling, different map publishers used different versions and so on.  Maybe whoever drew up the census in 1891 worked from a list that called it Alexandra, perhaps assumed it was named after the Princess of Wales, and whoever drew up the electors' lists worked from a different list and assumed it was named Alexandria after the place in Egypt. 
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Monica, thanks.

John, I know nothing at all apart from what I deduced from early- and mid-1890s maps and the census and mid-1890s Electoral Rolls.  Just yesterday I checked the census cover sheet, but that is consistent with the actual census papers.

Martin