Author Topic: Perth 1825 - does 'floor' mean house?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: Perth 1825 - does 'floor' mean house?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
some more

In 1841 they are in St. Andrews
1841 census: South Street, St Andrews (Fife), Fife, Scotland
John   Hindmarsh   Male   55   1786   England   
Sarah   Hindmarsh   Female   55   1786   England   
Euphemia   Martin   Female   19   1822   Fife, Scotland   
According to the census details he is a teacher of elocution

and in 1851 they are in Coupar Angus
1851 census: Meigle Road, Coupar Angus, Perthshire, Scotland
John   McLean   Head   Widower   55   1796   Saddler Forfarshire (Angus)
Jean   McLean   Daughter      14   1837   Scholar Perthshire, Scotland   
Margaret   McLean   Daughter      13   1838   Scholar Perthshire, Scotland   
Jemima   McLean   Daughter      11   1840   Scholar Perthshire, Scotland   
Barbara   Petterson   Niece   Unmarried   33   1818   Housekeeper   Forfarshire
John   Petterson   Servant   Unmarried   17   1834   Saddler Forfar, Forfarshire
John   Hindmarsh   Lodger   Married   64   1787   Teacher Of Elocution   England   
Sarah   Hindmarsh   Lodger   Married   64   1787   Wife Of J & H   England   
Isabella   Nisbitt   Lodger   Widow   35   1816   Daughter Of J & H   England   
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Page 2. ' some more timeline' Thank you Buckhyne. From your finds  I now have a definite move, Dec. 1831, from Barossa Place to King's Place where Misses I & S Hindmarsh are to have their Introductory Seminary, Sept. 1832 and then in May 1833 a move to St. Leonards Bank. I guess this is where the Hindmarsh family stayed until moving to South St., St. Andrews 
Page 3. 'some more'  Thank you Buckhyne - your help is invaluable. I had found that JHH's eldest son - also John Hall hindmarsh  married Mary Anne Nicholson, Calcutta, 1831. I haven't found any children for this couple.
I had not been able to find JHH on a 1851 census so I am very pleased to now have this record. I am especially pleased to find Isabella Nesbitt here. Isabella married Andrew Abercrombie Nesbitt 1839. I don't know when he died but their daughter Antoinette died, aged 13, April, 1853 at the Manse, Kettlins, Dundee, Angus. On Antoinette's obituary it mentioned only her father and her grandparents - JHH & Sarah H  so i thought Isabella must have died.  I have now found that she married again in 1856 at St. Andrew's Islington, England - to John Derry who was 20 years her junior.
With the information you found on the Misses I and S Hindmarsh my interest in these two has been rekindled. With the above I have some idea of Isabella's life but I would like to tie together the random pieces I have on Sarah Marshall Hindmarsh and have them verified.
Mar. 1835, aged 20, Sarah married Charles Rose a widower and merchant.
1841  census  Charles Rose is in Leeds and with him are Andrew and Isabella Nesbitt and their baby daughter, Antoinette. Isabella and Sarah's younger sister - Jane Ann Sophia Hindmarsh is also there. Isabella is not with them  and I haven't found her anywhere else for 1841.
Scottishroots.com says that ' the death of Sarah, the wife of Henry Charles Barney, a fund holder, took place in Edinburgh in 1874, the cause being alcoholic poisoning.' This was from an article on Ian Fleming who descended from Marshall Kirkland Hindmarsh, Sarah's younger brother.
I could not find Sarah in the 1851 census but having HC Barney as a clue I found her in the 1861 census with HCB in Aberystwith, Wales.
1871 census SMH and HCB are in Penrith, Cumberland.
Dundee Courier, July 27, 1859.  'A Sarah Barney or Tulloch, Butcher Row, was accused of stealing two smoothing irons .............pleaded guilty, and was sent to prison for six months. She had several times previously convicted of theft - on one occasion before the Sheriff with a jury, when she received a sentence of three months imprisonment. ' 
Since younger sister, Jane Ann Sophia married John Tulloch it would seem likely that this is the correct Sarah and she might have sometimes used the name Tulloch. I have not found her marriage to Barney or Charles Rose's death. I looked for further newspaper reports but to date have found none.
I know that originally my quest was for help with movement of the Hindmarsh family within Perth and I am not sure it I should have started a new  query for help finding information on Sarah Marshall Hindmarsh or just carried on as I have. I hope this ok  Jo

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 March 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I know that originally my quest was for help with movement of the Hindmarsh family within Perth and I am not sure it I should have started a new  query for help finding information on Sarah Marshall Hindmarsh or just carried on as I have. I hope this ok
This is your thread so you can do what you want with it (although If it were me I would start a new thread).
I'm hopeless with anything genealogy-wise in England so I don't think I can help any more.
I may have a couple of snippets from Perth newspapers but we will see.

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 March 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Buckhyne for all your help. Advertisements for John Hall Hindmarsh - his performances, his teaching and his publications  along with reviews and testimonials are to be found throughout Northumberland and Scottish historic newspapers. I can use  the British newspapers site in half hour segments at my local library which is good but not as good as having it at home. . You have given me a big boost. The maps and the photos of the likes of Rose Terrace make it all more real and interesting and I will make an effort to find similar in some of the other towns he lived in . Thank you again. Jo

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 March 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
A relative?
Perthshire Courier 14th February, 1823
Died at Edinburgh on the 18th ult., Mr James Hindmarsh, teacher of music.

Perthshire Courier 8th June, 1826
Mr Hindmarsh, teacher of English and Elocution in our Public Seminaries, was on Friday last, presented, by the pupils attending his classes, with an elegant silver Snuff-box, and a beautiful massive salver – each bearing an appropriate inscription.

Perthshire Courier 10th August, 1826
His letter was published and signed John H Hindmarsh, Ferryport-on-Craig, 4th August, 1826
Note: Tayport, also known as Ferry-Port on Craig, is a town and burgh, and parish, in the county of Fife

In the same newspaper, (perhaps he was in the middle of moving house)
Perthshire Courier 10th August, 1826
His advert for his classes in the Perth Academy.
Signed 4, Rose Terrace, 4th August, 1826

Another new address
Perthshire Courier 20th July, 1837
School work 1…ships, in India ink, from a copy, Marshall Hindmarsh, King Street

Perthshire Advertiser 19th July, 1838
Senior Private Class of Young Ladies – Jane Anne S. Hindmarsh, King Street

Perthshire Advertiser 18th July, 1839
School work Heads in pencil from copy, Marshall Hindmarsh, King Street

another relative?
Perthshire Courier 30th April, 1840
Sequestration: April 25th William Hindmarsh music-seller and music-teacher, Glasgow

Perthshire Advertiser 16th July, 1840
In consequence of the illness of Mr Hindmarsh, the usual treat by his pupils did not take place

Perthshire Courier 6th August, 1840
Retiring pension to Mr Hindmarsh.
…his other letters, generally, complained of ill health, through which he was unable to fulfil the duties of the situation.

Dundee Courier 30th July, 1856
Died at St Andrews on the 24th inst., John Hall Hindmarsh, late teacher of elocution in the Perth Academy

His son Marshall Kirkland Hindmarsh

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 March 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Great. More treasure!.  After the Easter break I'll be checking details. The letter sent from Ferryport-on-Craig is intriguing. I wonder if JHH was on holiday when he wrote it. The last Edinburgh address I have for him is 1825. I had imagined him beginning at Perth Academy Sept. 1826 but your find of the presentation of ' an elegant silver snuff box and a beautiful, massive salver ' from students, June 1826 means he must have begun work at the Perth Academy early in 1826 or Sept. 1825.
I think the Misses Hindmarsh venture may have come to an end with the marriage of Sarah, 1835 and Isabella, 1839. This may have necessitated a move down market to King's St. which I see is still in the general area - King's Place / St. Leonard's Bank where they last lived.
I had not seen the  'retiring pension' piece. JHH made a quick recovery and was at St. Andrews for the new academic year. Sept. 1840! For the next 16 years till his death 1856 he was in:
1840 - 1842 - St. Andrews.  1843-1844  - Newcastle upon Tyne,  1845 - 1847- Jersey ( youngest daughter Jane A.S. Hindmarsh married John Tulloch on Jersey 1845)  1847- 1850 - Dundee, 1951- 1855 - Coupar Angus, 1856 - St. Andrews.
From 1847 Sarah & John Hindmarsh lived near their youngest daughter  and her husband - Jane & John Tulloch. After Dundee John Tulloch was the minister at Kettins near Coupar Angus. On a plain headstone at Kettins JHH had inscribed possibly one of the longest epitaphs on record for his wife Sarah when she died 1853. ( ' Epitaphs & Inscriptions ....NE Scotland  - Andrew Jervoise) Although JHH died at St. Andrews ( John Tulloch became Principal at St. Andrews Uni ) his death is recorded on the same stone as his wife's so I presume he was buried at Kettins.
I have a broad outline of  the general movements of the Hindmarsh family but now with the detail you have generously supplied, Buckhyne, I have come to want to find not only the towns but also if possible the streets and houses this family lived in .
Thank you  Jo

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Journal 21st March, 1835
At Alnwick on the 19th inst., Mr Charles Rose, of the firm of Hoptons, Penneston, and Rose, Manufacturers, Leeds, to Sarah, daughter of J.H. Hindmarsh, teacher of elocution, Perth and formerly of Alnwick

Aberdeen Press and Journal 19th February, 1879
Hindmarsh, Marshall Kirkland, supervisor of inland revenue, Bank, New Maud, as trustee for his children Mary Florence Gordon Hindmarsh, Sarah Kate Hindmarsh, Donald Stuart Hindmarsh, and Annie Mabel Hindmarsh, and the survivors or survivor of them

Aberdeen Press and Journal 18 June 1880
All persons having claims against the late Marshall Kirkland Hindmarsh esquire, Supervisor of Inland Revenue, residing at Maud, are requested to lodge the same with Mr. R. Robertson, Solicitor, Peterhead, agent for his Testamentary Trustees within ten days from this date. Peterhead, 15th June, 1880

Dundee Courier 15 February 1881
Marriage
At St Paul’s Episcopal Church, Dundee, on the 14th inst., by the Rev. Henry Macnamara, incumbent, assisted by the Rev. George Grub, Robert Fleming, to Kate, second daughter of the late Marshall Kirkland Hindmarsh

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 April 18 05:45 BST (UK) »
Some good additions esp. for my Marshall Kirkman Hindmarsh file. Thank you Buckhyne  - Jo