Author Topic: Young & Simpson  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Young & Simpson
« on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is able to help me trace relatives/ancestors of -

Isabel Taylor Young BIRTH 20 AUG 1917 • St Rollox, Glasgow DEATH 2006 Pollokshaws

who married in 1935 in Camlachie, Lanarkshire, Scotland to:

William Simpson BIRTH Unknown DEATH 6 MAR 1957 Glasgow

as they are quite common surnames its hard to research. I'm trying to find if they had children.

Thanks!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Young & Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Re: Ancestry - A copy of the 1935 marriage cert will give respective parents names and mothers maiden names.  It will also give you William's age as will his death cert

Who reported Isabel's death?  Did either William or Isabel leave a will as it may name children as beneficiaries?

Searching deaths on Scotlands People for surname Simpson with a mothers maiden name of Taylor and confining search to Lanarkshire shows only 2 results

Walter Bartle** Simpson died 1997 aged 61 (1936)
May Simpson died 2015 aged 74 (1944) (may be a married woman)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
as they are quite common surnames its hard to research. I'm trying to find if they had children.
It would be very easy indeed if you could go in person, or get someone to go on your behalf, to a Scotland's People Centre, where you can search births after 1929 by mother's maiden surname.

The 1917 birth certicicate, the 1935 marriage certificate, and the 1956 death certificate can all be viewed at SP, as they are all earlier than the online cut-off dates.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Scotlands People.
The death 2006 index for Isabella Taylor Simpson MS Young states her mother's maiden name was : Crowe

Simpson birth:
Ann Crowe Young Simpson born 1941. Birth registered in College District
Marriage registered in Pollok 1960.
( can't name spouse as he may still be living)

This is the same woman died in 2015 aged 75yrs & death registered in Martha Street
Both names of Simpson and Xxxx are on the index and mother's maiden name is:  Young

You can search the index yourself Kirsty to get her husband's name
Due to T&Cs of Rootschat, I cannot provide this info on this forum
There is no matching male death for the exact name showing on this 1960 marriage index.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
It would be very easy indeed if you could go in person, or get someone to go on your behalf, to a Scotland's People Centre, where you can search births after 1929 by mother's maiden surname.

Can you not do this online using the scotlandspeople website? Unfortunately I'm currently in America

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Can you not do this online using the scotlandspeople website? Unfortunately I'm currently in America
No. there is a restriction on what you can see online - you can't look at births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 75 years ago or deaths less than 50 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
No. there is a restriction on what you can see online - you can't look at births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 75 years ago or deaths less than 50 years ago.

but can you see more recent births if you go in person to the center?  I'm trying to find their children if they are alive still or where they are living is unknown. All I know is that they were born in Scotland.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 March 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
but can you see more recent births if you go in person to the center?
Yes.

I'm trying to find their children if they are alive still or where they are living is unknown. All I know is that they were born in Scotland.
Don't forget that RootsChat is not for tracing living people, and you aren't allowed to give any information about anyone who is not, or may not be, deceased.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
From my reply above

Who reported Isabel's death?

Buying a copy of her 2006 death cert may give you additional info.  If one of her children reported her death then you will at least have a starting point
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)