Author Topic: G. Mackintosh in Thailand/Burma 1910 -1923  (Read 653 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
G. Mackintosh in Thailand/Burma 1910 -1923
« on: Friday 23 March 18 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I have a strong DNA match with c Danny Mackintosh, who was born in Burma c 1960's (now deceased); his nephew is communicating with me.  G. Mackintosh (Scottish)was working for a forest department or a mining company in Ranong Thailand which is near the border of Burma(Myanmar) and Thailand around 1910.
He married a Burmese lady, named (Daw In) she lived in Kanbauk village Dawei, Burma (Myanmar) and they had a child (Donald Mackintosh) was born in 1918 Ranong Thailand.

Kanbauk is a Tin mining village. Later Donald was working as a mining engineer and settled down with his wife and children including Nellie and Danny.

G. Mackintosh left his wife and his 5 year old son (Donald Mackintosh) and returned to Scotland in 1923. He gave information and documents for his wife & 5 year old son to keep in touch. However  those documents and information have been lost.

I presume my DNA match is through my mother, Born Jean Lawson Mackintosh, & her father William Urquhart Mackintosh, born Tradespark, Nairn in 1874. He had a brother George b 1867 who may be the one in question but not sure. Does anone have NY IDEAS

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: G. Mackintosh in Thailand/Burma 1910 -1923
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
There was a George Mackintosh arrived at Plymouth on the P&O ship Mantua on 1 December 1922. He travelled in 1st Class. Described as a merchant aged 42. Last permanent residence Siam. Address given in UK was "sports club SW".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a fishing trip but you could see if you could find an obituary for George which might give more info ?  Last night I was looking at my g grandfather's obit in the Aberdeen Evening Express which started with 'John, late of Rangoon (Burmah), died last night.....'

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
This thread on Ancestry suggests a birth date in the 1880's and another Mackintosh possibility arriving from Rangoon in 1923.  The address given is that of an Alexander Mackintosh from Banff so presumably one of his sons returning.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/localities.britisles.scotland.inv.general/3267.1.1/mb.ashx
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for you info - that gives me somewhere to look.