Author Topic: Family of Moses Blanchard (fisherman/ smuggler)  (Read 3440 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Moses Blanchard (fisherman/ smuggler)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 March 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The only prison record I can find for a Moses Blanchard has him sentenced to death in 1820 in Dorset for Highway Robbery along with a Charles Blanchard and John Blanchard Junr.

Emeltom

Newspapers reporting the executions of the above Moses & John Blanchard state that the three Blanchard's were brothers & born at Blandford in Dorset. Moses being 21 & John 22 at the time of execution. Therefore a different Moses Blanchard.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 18 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have Moses Blanchard born 1779, born in Abbotsbury, Dorset.

I have found a prison record saying he was convicted of smuggling and have his wife as Elizabeth Cozens.

The record in question is on Ancestry within the Dorchester Prison Admission & Discharge Registers, 1782-1901.

It gives the following info:

Dorchester Gaol

Prisoners in Custody on Criminal Process.

No: 184
Dates of Warrants: Dec 29th 1823
By Whom Committed: Rev W A Baker
When Brought to Prison: Dec 30th 1823
Prisoners Name: Moses Blanchard
Parish: Abbotsbury
Trade: Labourer
Family or Condition: Married
Size: 5ft 9 & one quarter inches
Hair: Dark Brown
Complexion: Brown
Eyes: Grey
Marks: Little finger right hand crooked & a cut on thumb left hand
Crimes: Smuggling
Sentence: To be imprisoned until he pays the penalty of £100
Behaviour: Orderly
When Discharged: Sept 20th 1824
Remarks: Discharged by order of the committing magistrate. Order to discharge annexxed? to the warrant of commitment.

There are other columns but there was nothing in them. This includes the columns regarding details of any trial. Perhaps suggests that there was enough evidence to convict him without the requirement or need of a trial.

At least we now know when this event took place. Seems to be absolutely no other records about it though as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline ChalmersB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 18 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Wow! Thanks for all of this.

I now need to update and probably correct some of the details I have for Moses.

Many thanks
Brook

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Brook,

Your most welcome, glad I was able to help!

If Gregory Hansford & Honor are the correct parents then the following marriage may be of interest.

10th Feb 1766, Gregory Hansford to Honour Blanchard at Abbotsbury.

A couple of trees on Ancestry have this couple as the parents of Moses.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David