Author Topic: Any DNA experts fancy trying to crack this?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Any DNA experts fancy trying to crack this?
« on: Friday 23 March 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a birth father who may or may not be called McGuinness.

Have a maternal half brother who tested, so now can say which side matches are on on gedmatch....but it would seem this family met before a couple of generations between.

The only paternal 3rd cousin match is father unknown..as i found out after i spent months building her tree only to find she used her husband's family in the tree..She won't upload to gedmatch.

I have a mirror tree containing all the paternal matches at 4th cousin stage..looking for a common ancestor.

I can't work it out..spend hours every day..gedmatch is A919901 should you fancy joining in.. ::)

Child born in mullingar westmeath left Ireland aged 5 now in Midlands Birmingham. Birth mother found years ago now deceased.She gave a name..but who knows.

Any help would be appreciated, a few have tried and given up. It's also uploaded to genesis,DNA land,my heritage and ftdna.
Many thanks
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Any DNA experts fancy trying to crack this?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a cousin searching for his Birth mothers FAMILY from Mullinger!  His mother is deceased - she was born in Mullinger in 1945

But the names I am searching are Burns and Costello...

Sorry - the name Mullinger just jumped out at me..

all the best with your search.

xin

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Mullingar, in westmeath ireland. We still have friends there.
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
sent pm x

xin

Offline Sprinkles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Want to identify both maternal great grandfathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 20 02:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a birth father who may or may not be called McGuinness.

Have a maternal half brother who tested, so now can say which side matches are on on gedmatch....but it would seem this family met before a couple of generations between.

The only paternal 3rd cousin match is father unknown..as i found out after i spent months building her tree only to find she used her husband's family in the tree..She won't upload to gedmatch.

I have a mirror tree containing all the paternal matches at 4th cousin stage..looking for a common ancestor.

I can't work it out..spend hours every day..gedmatch is A919901 should you fancy joining in.. ::)

Child born in mullingar westmeath left Ireland aged 5 now in Midlands Birmingham. Birth mother found years ago now deceased.She gave a name..but who knows.

Any help would be appreciated, a few have tried and given up. It's also uploaded to genesis,DNA land,my heritage and ftdna.
Many thanks

Hi there, I came across this post when researching my surname, McGuinness.  You may have already solved this by now but I thought I would reply just in case you had not.

I ran the kit number you refer to above and I just wanted to let you know the results.  We matched on 11 shared segments over 8 chromosomes.  They are only small segments, the largest being 4.3cM however on the chromosomes where there are several, they add up to 7-9cM. I am aware that people do not believe these small segments to be of any value, however, I disagree.  I have found these broken segments useful, in identifying half cousin relationships.

So in saying that, the person you are assisting matches on my Paton/McGuinness line (3x great grandparents).  She matches with a confirmed 3rd cousin on the same line.
I have DNA matches on Ancestry with the same surname as your person; and others with the surname in their trees (who are mutual matches with others who are connected with this same line).

I am reviewing the results against the segments in DNA Painter and my initial thoughts are that the connection is closer than 3 x great grandparents and could actually be in my grandfather's generation but I need to look at this further.

Happy to assist if you are still trying to work this one out.

Nikki McGuinness
Anderson; Aughterlownie; Bonar; Brinay; Brown; Cassidy; Clancy; Chalmers, Connolly; Costello; Cross; Deuchars; Dick; Docherty; Donnelly; Duncan; Douglas; Fairweather; Falconer; Farrell; Finley; Flynn; Gilmour; Glancy; Goldie; Groves; Hammond; Hill; Izatt; McGarrity; McGarry; McGinley; Mackay; McKeay; McGuinness; McIver; McKinlay; McLaughlin; McLoughlan; McQueeny; McWalter; McWatter; Moncur; Ormond; Orchison; Paton; Robbie; Robertson; Shields; Soutar; Suttie; Smith; Thain; Thomson; Wylie

Offline Sprinkles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Want to identify both maternal great grandfathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
I have a cousin searching for his Birth mothers FAMILY from Mullinger!  His mother is deceased - she was born in Mullinger in 1945

But the names I am searching are Burns and Costello...

Sorry - the name Mullinger just jumped out at me..

all the best with your search.

xin

Hi Finley

I saw you were searching the name "Costello". I am also researching the name Costello, as my 2nd great grandmother was named Christina Costello born 1869 who married a Francis Hammond - they lived in Rutherglen, Scotland. I think my Costellos originally come from Co. Kerry, Ireland (her father Michael Costello born c1841).

Nikki
Anderson; Aughterlownie; Bonar; Brinay; Brown; Cassidy; Clancy; Chalmers, Connolly; Costello; Cross; Deuchars; Dick; Docherty; Donnelly; Duncan; Douglas; Fairweather; Falconer; Farrell; Finley; Flynn; Gilmour; Glancy; Goldie; Groves; Hammond; Hill; Izatt; McGarrity; McGarry; McGinley; Mackay; McKeay; McGuinness; McIver; McKinlay; McLaughlin; McLoughlan; McQueeny; McWalter; McWatter; Moncur; Ormond; Orchison; Paton; Robbie; Robertson; Shields; Soutar; Suttie; Smith; Thain; Thomson; Wylie