Author Topic: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?
« on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I haven't used the IGI/FamilySearch site for a while, but when I did so recently the following message came up:

Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser.

I'd welcome any advice about this.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
My advice would be to say what Browser you were using!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »

My advice would be to say what Browser you were using!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Malky
Yes, this is part  of the message I have been getting.

Hallmark
You are talking to a complete technophobe here!  My husband set up this laptop for me several years ago and even he isn't now sure which browser it uses, but we think it may be Internet Explorer (possibly 11?).  Maybe it's time for me to switch to Chrome or another browser.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
What Icon do you click on to go to websites??

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
If you are not using the Global Family Tree on Familysearch or view digital images on the site then IE11 seems to work OK with much of the site as I'm using it.  Occasionally has a bit of a hissy fit but most things load OK.  Really depends on what you are doing.  I tend to mainly search in the catalogue for films to view at an LDS FHC but occasionally search within the online records and the results tend to load OK albeit a bit slow which could be my connection.  If it works OK for you I suggest, as with Hallmark, is to stay using what you are currently using.

I can use Edge and Firefox if I need to but can't stand Chrome as its so resource hungry. :-X

If you have Windows 10 then you have the option of using MS Edge which is their new browser and will be installed by default.  I don't particularly like it and usually only make use of it when something won't work in IE11.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the link Malky posted, familysearch.org doesn't (fully) support Internet Explorer any more You can click on the option to "use my current web browser, knowing that many of the features won't work" Most things probably wiil, others won't. Problems using Internet Explorer are likely to increase as times goes on.

More than 60% of Desktop users now use Chrome, about 10% use Firefox and 30% is accounted for by Safari (Apple) and others (including Internet explorer at about 6%). The use of Internet Explorer is declining and personally, I suggest moving to something like Chrome or Firefox. If you have Windows 10, you'll have Microsoft Edge pre-installed too.

I use Chrome 95% of the time and occasionally Firefox. They both just work everywhere

Mike

Malky
Yes, this is part  of the message I have been getting.

Hallmark
You are talking to a complete technophobe here!  My husband set up this laptop for me several years ago and even he isn't now sure which browser it uses, but we think it may be Internet Explorer (possibly 11?).  Maybe it's time for me to switch to Chrome or another browser.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
A similar message was showing in January in FTM 2107. It's gone now.

Malky