Author Topic: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?  (Read 5831 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:44 BST (UK) »

I always avoid Chrome because of the enormous amount of data it ships off to Google. Their stuff is extremely intrusive. An acquaintance was surprised to discover how much his Android phone had logged about his weekend away. It had told Google which hotel he stayed in, which restaurants he had visited, and how long he had spent there, just so that they could plague him with ads for similar places.

Worse than Facebook for gathering Data!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
That's the only way I know where I've been and what I did.

Martin

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
I always avoid Chrome because of the enormous amount of data it ships off to Google. Their stuff is extremely intrusive. An acquaintance was surprised to discover how much his Android phone had logged about his weekend away. It had told Google which hotel he stayed in, which restaurants he had visited, and how long he had spent there, just so that they could plague him with ads for similar places.

That will be something to do with geolocation (or whatever its called) being enabled with mobile internet enabled, which is one of the reasons I keep mobile internet disabled unless I want to look up something. ;)  Yes I can be placed in an immediate location relating to which transmitter my phone connects to but its not as intrusive.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
Topic locked as it's going off in a direction discussing ads as a result of browser choice, and even choice of mobile phones. Yikes.

RootsChat is free to use, but it's not free to run. We don't get any hand-outs to run the site, and are only funded by ads. So please, we would appreciate it to avoid discussing these, as we see a substantial loss of revenue each time this happens. This puts the future of the site in the balance, despite our best efforts.

We enjoy running the site for you, and hope you enjoy using it. :)

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.