Author Topic: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: New browser for IGI/FamilySearch?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I will add to Mike's wise words, it is good practice to make sure you use the latest reliable version of a browser, it will have the latest security updates.

Martin

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »

I use Family Search frequently for research as well as for transribing records and have no problems with it, I am using the latest version of Firefox with Windows 10. 

My laptop is not the newest around, and my techie son set it up with the Firefox rather than Chrome for the reason mentioned by smudwhisk.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.  We have now installed Chrome after a lot of messing about, but it looks as though I'm going to have to enter passowrds for all the sites I've been using so far! (only tried a couple, though)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 March 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Oops, not Chrome - it was Firefox.  Sorry! :(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.  We have now installed Firefox after a lot of messing about, but it looks as though I'm going to have to enter passowrds for all the sites I've been using so far! (only tried a couple, though)

yes you will...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 March 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
You can enter any passwords you were using before, even when I changed to a new computer I had to re-enter passwords I'd used for years.   I find Firefox better than Chrome, each time I've tried Chrome on my old laptop and this one things seem to go wrong, so I stick with Firefox now.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
We changed from Firefox TO Chrome for the same reason!

MARTIN

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 March 18 11:05 BST (UK) »

I copied all my bookmarks etc across from Chrome to Firefox all seemed to go smoothly....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch claims that Microsoft have ceased support for IE11. This is untrue, as it is in FULL support until October 14, 2025. That means that bugs and security problems will be patched.

However, the website intends to use types of code which are currently not in IE11. They might be added to other browsers, but won't be added to IE. Until these features are defined and supported in browsers, FS can't use them, so IE will work as it did before.

I tend to use Edge these days, slowly getting used to its foibles. Some features of IE11 are missing from Edge, such as the ability to remove cookies selectively. They are now stored in an internal database without any documented access.

I've also noticed that the text on my own website looks better when rendered in Edge than in IE11. My gut feel is that it used to look better in IE than it does now. I wonder if this is a "feature" put there specifically to nudge us towards moving?

I always avoid Chrome because of the enormous amount of data it ships off to Google. Their stuff is extremely intrusive. An acquaintance was surprised to discover how much his Android phone had logged about his weekend away. It had told Google which hotel he stayed in, which restaurants he had visited, and how long he had spent there, just so that they could plague him with ads for similar places.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.