Author Topic: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby  (Read 6323 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Mark

If you wish to go further with the Danvers connection, you'll find a summary of Daniel Danvers will 1746 at  www.mawer.clara.net/willsA.html#danvers  and all sorts of Danvers info on the database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html .

The Danvers name is important in the sugar refining business.  Along with Cleveland and Smith they took sugar refining from London to Liverpool soon after the Great Fire of London.  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-westldn.html

Hello sugarbakers

Thank you, what some fantastic sites you have linked to!!

I have an original early 18th Century document with reference to a property called the Sugar House at Selby, Yorkshire.

The Richard Pearson of Selby Will 1724 indicates Pearson had property in the Kingdom of Ireland and Selby Yorkshire.

Richard Peirson's Indenture describes a Capital Dwelling House by the sounds of it, at Ousegate, Selby with Barn, Stable, Malt Kiln, Horse Mill, Garth Garden or Orchard with rights to the Commons, common of pasture, ways, water courses, profitts, commodities ... abutting on the Church Dam and the House of Francis Walmesley Esq., called the Suger House ...

Mark

Good Evening

I am excited about some new information this afternoon, because my late Grandmother who died 30 years ago also discussed with us as children raw sugar from cane, refining and also Tate & Lyle sugar refiners were mentioned, who I discovered formed much later. I have mentioned before the Fleur de Lis, being discussed and notice some Fleur de Lis, were linked to the Spencer name.

My other Grandfather (Mum's side) even got a Jamaican Lady, a friend of the family to bring over cylindrical sticks of sugar they sold in Jamaica and we also tasted semi liquid sugar, or a product of sugar, which I seem to recall tasted a bit like Liquorice.

I read on the Web this evening that many Masters and Mariners at Scarborough were Quakers and another John Jefferson being in prison in the 17th Century, for his Quaker beliefs.

I previously noticed the Bondsman of John Hood, Mariner of Scarborough, was John Jefferson, Mariner of Scarborough and to my shock discovered this 1734 - 1735 Fire Policy online ...

"John Jefferson, of Scarborough in the County of York Canyer hath paid the Sum of Six Shillings to the Society of the Sun Fire-Office in London ... for Insurance from Loss or Damage by Fire, on His Brick and Tile House only in Black Fryer Gate otherwise the Beast Market in Scarborough aforesaid not yet inhabited being not quite finished but intended for his own Dwelling House not exceeding Two hundred Pounds, And on His Household Goods and furniture therein only and not elsewhere not exceeding One hundred Pound"

I am almost certain that a Canyer was a Sugar Cane Merchant?

I have mentioned recently regarding both sides of the Selby, HOOD gap, that both the Hood-Turner and Hood-Russell family descendants have both married into the GRUBB family and some suggestion from a middle child's name, that these GRUBBs may be linked.

I feel the odds are stacking up in favour of John Hood of Selby, Mariner (late of Scarborough) as being a relation at least.

Thank you, Mark

See also next reply for extract of Fire Certificate.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Link to full document, what a lovely document with this kind of detail on!

https://davislibrary.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/featured-archive-for-july-2012-john-jefferson-of-scarborough-in-the-county-of-york/

The Three Fleur de Lis, are linked to some Yorkshire Spencers - Richard Spencer, Merchant, born at Leeds 1st February 1662. Buried 13th February 1690, Son of Nathaniel Spencer, (Arms in Selby Abbey).

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Lovely documents, but I think the second one says Carryer. The 'r's are slightly rounded, whilst the 'n' is sharp and pointed (see County, three words back). I've never heard the word canyer regarding sugar cane.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

Would he not, be more than a Carrier / Carryer with a House valued at £200 in 1734?

I see both. Could be a Shipping Carryer.

The Policy is limiting his insurance to his Scarborough House, suggesting he might have a house elsewhere, perhaps abroad?

Canyer, Cane and Sugar Cane from this ...
canya de sucre

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello

21st September 1778

William Brooke, in Selby, along with others in Yorkshire, have got a set of Ships together to sail to Messrs Perkins and Robinson, Wharfingers, at the Gun and Shot Wharfe, Southwark.

The Ships and Masters were:-

This Set of Ships Consist of
The York Union, Captain, John Jefferson.
Industry, Robert Jefferson.
Rippon, Philip Thompson. 
Ouse, John Coulman.
Bedale, Richard Hinsleff.
Brothers, John Hood.
Nidd, Will. Stephenson.
Selby, Joseph Dean.
Rochdale, --------------------

Interesting to see John Jefferson and John Hood in the same list as Captains, with an Agent in Selby. It looks like they have formed some type of consortium.

The image is attached to initial post here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5769089#msg5769089

Mark

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
So (shipping) carryer seems appropriate.

He may well have transported raw sugar, but not cane - it deteriorated very fast once cut, hence the production of raw sugar on the plantation or nearby.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sugarbakers, so Sugar Cane in its raw form wouldn't last anyway.

Carryer / Carrier in Shipping likely.

Canya (Cane) is related to the Catalonian (an area of Spain) language. Claimed to be vulgar Latin (not checked).

But the word Cane, as an occupation wouldn't make sense on its own.

Claire tells me there is a Will for a John Jefferson died 1765 at the Borthwick, York.

I will order a copy of the Will Bundle and see what it says.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 July 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello

21st September 1778

William Brooke, in Selby, along with others in Yorkshire, have got a set of Ships together to sail to Messrs Perkins and Robinson, Wharfingers, at the Gun and Shot Wharfe, Southwark.

The Ships and Masters were:-

This Set of Ships Consist of
The York Union, Captain, John Jefferson.
Industry, Robert Jefferson.
Rippon, Philip Thompson. 
Ouse, John Coulman.
Bedale, Richard Hinsleff.
Brothers, John Hood.
Nidd, Will. Stephenson.
Selby, Joseph Dean.
Rochdale, --------------------

The image is attached to initial post here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5769089#msg5769089

Mark

Hello

Searching for HOOD, the Mariner / Master from & to Hull and finding a few more circa 1785 (around the time George Hood would have been born).

According to the 6 February 1780 Letter from Burton & Taylor, Hull to William Martin, Wakefield, Aire and Calder Navigation correspondence, it does state, Bedale, J. Hood, arrived yesterday from London.

Re Hood in February 1780, also found the following:-
HULL, February 12,
Coasters Arrived. ...
; Bedale, Hood , Galeston, Stamford ;

So J. Hood / Hood had been out again and arrived back at Hull, on the 12th February.

19 March 1782 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, March 16.
COASTERS ARRIVED.  Amity, Harrow ; Industry, Hood ; George, Woodhouse ; John and Mary, Jones, and Queen, Meggitt, from London. Henry, Walton, fr. Plymouth.

27th September 1785, Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, September 22.
COASTERS ARRIVED. ... ; Industry, Hood, from London.

23rd May 1786, Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, May 20.
Coasters Sailed. ... ; Industry, Hood ; ... for London.

22nd August 1786, Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, August 19.
Coasters Arrived. ... ; Industry, Hood ; ... from London.

31st October 1786, Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, October 28.
Coasters Arrived. ... ; Jane, Hood ; ... from London.

26 December 1786 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, December 21.
Coasters Sailed. ...
Leeds Packet, Hood ; ... for London.

29 December 1786 Stamford Mercury
HULL, Dec. 22.
Coasters Sailed. ...
Leeds Packet, Hood ; ... for London.

Sheffield Register, Yorkshire, ... Universal Advertiser 3 May 1788
Ship News.
HULL.
Sailed. ...
Centurion, Hood ; ... all for Petersburgh, with horses, ale, mahogany, woollen drapery, earthen and ironmongers ware, & c.

Sheffield Register, Yorkshire, ... Universal Advertiser 28 March 1789
SHIP NEWS.
HULL.
Arrived. ... COASTERS. ... Centurion, Hood ; ... all from London.

There are some Mariner records at Hull and we hope to have a second visit there, as the River up to Selby from Hull, once came under the jurisdiction of HULL.

I'll keep searching, Mark