Author Topic: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby  (Read 6281 times)

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Mark

If you wish to go further with the Danvers connection, you'll find a summary of Daniel Danvers will 1746 at  www.mawer.clara.net/willsA.html#danvers  and all sorts of Danvers info on the database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html .

The Google books links are good, though the book is available as Print-on-Demand from Abebooks from any price from reasonable to silly.

The Danvers name is important in the sugar refining business.  Along with Cleveland and Smith they took sugar refining from London to Liverpool soon after the Great Fire of London.  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-westldn.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
Mark

If you wish to go further with the Danvers connection, you'll find a summary of Daniel Danvers will 1746 at  www.mawer.clara.net/willsA.html#danvers  and all sorts of Danvers info on the database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html .

The Danvers name is important in the sugar refining business.  Along with Cleveland and Smith they took sugar refining from London to Liverpool soon after the Great Fire of London.  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-westldn.html

Hello sugarbakers

Thank you, what some fantastic sites you have linked to!!

I have an original early 18th Century document with reference to a property called the Sugar House at Selby, Yorkshire.

The Richard Pearson of Selby Will 1724 indicates Pearson had property in the Kingdom of Ireland and Selby Yorkshire.

Richard Peirson's Indenture describes a Capital Dwelling House by the sounds of it, at Ousegate, Selby with Barn, Stable, Malt Kiln, Horse Mill, Garth Garden or Orchard with rights to the Commons, common of pasture, ways, water courses, profitts, commodities ... abutting on the Church Dam and the House of Francis Walmesley Esq., called the Suger House ...

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Regarding TATE and HOOD

26 February 1809 Selby Parish Register
At the Wedding of

Richard BATHWICK or Richard BORTHWICK of Howden Parish, Sadler, married Ann WARD of Selby, by Licence.

The Witnesses were reputed to be:-

Amelia TATE
Wm HOOD

I will order the Marriage Intention & Bond and see if HOOD is on that & what it says.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding TATE and HOOD

26 February 1809 Selby Parish Register
At the Wedding of

Richard BATHWICK or Richard BORTHWICK of Howden Parish, Sadler, married Ann WARD of Selby, by Licence.

The Witnesses were reputed to be:-

Amelia TATE
Wm HOOD

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Mark. Interested as to why it was called the Suger House. Certainly no mention of sugar refining in Selby anywhere I've looked over the years, though of course no reason why not ... just an extension of the trade in Hull and Goole (but earlier !).
Seems, as you say, to be the name of the house/dwelling, which makes me wonder if there was a Walmesley connection to sugar that I've not found yet. Maybe good money was being made from an investment in a (London) refinery, or maybe there was a plantation connection perhaps through the Lancashire side of the family.
Can find nothing useful yet, but will keep looking.
Thank you.
Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 April 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryan

I don't know why it was called the Suger house and Sugar House in the next deed, when this adjacent house changed hands again.

I am aware from 1778 newspapers and the Five Volume 1791 Universal British Directory (Volume 1) that Selby was mentioned by at least two London Wharves. One being the Gun and Shot Wharf at Southwark, with regular sailings to Selby and York.

Image here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5769089#msg5769089

Mark

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 April 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Mark

There was refining in Hull and York at that time (c1700) so no reason there not to be in Selby, but I can't find any reference to it, nor to a working sugarhouse. Assuming your document is referring to the site for Richard Pearson's Corunna House, the house to the east of that doesn't look old enough to be the Sugar House of the Walmesley family, so lost to history.
Thank you for the ref to Selby the port, which points to Walmesley (or those who owned the house before him, maybe) trading in sugar via the Ouse.
Will keep eyes open for anything more.

Bryan

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Bryan

Where did you get Corunna House from, please?

I have read that Selby was classed by some as a Western jurisdiction under the Port of Hull.

They were obviously brewing, due to reference of a Malt Kiln.

I expect they were fermenting wines etc. too, I understand a process which requires sugar.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Bryan, I've found it and more information. (Amended).

Corunna House

"A gentlemans house of circa 1720, built for Richard Pearson. The building became a school in the 1850's and remained so for the next 70 years or so."

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1854038

What a beautiful house, it says in later documentation that the house was a Capital Messuage or Tenement. Capital in this case usually means a principal house. The house passed to Firman.

Then mid 18th Century there is a Lease Thomas Firman of Selby to James Dobson of London Gentleman.

Richard PIERSON

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/search.jsp?q=Pierson

FIRMAN
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=3499

"(Estate) Firman - Thomas Firman of Selby, Yorkshire and of Dublin city inherited the estates of Richard Pierson. His son, John Firman, was "of Ballinderry and Arranhill, county Tipperary". John Firman's estate was valued at £600 in the mid 1770s (Kilboy Papers). John Firman's two sons were Thomas Pierson Firman of Firmount who married a Yorkshire heiress and Richard Flood Firman of Slevoir. The Firman family were related through marriage with the Smith family of Milford and the Biggs family of Castle Biggs.The representatives of Thomas P. Firman held an estate in the parishes of Borrisokane and Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, in the mid 19th century. In May 1852 the Firmount estate, barony of Lower Ormond and the lands of Grange and Clohane, barony of Eliogarty, over 1,300 acres in total, were advertised for sale and appear to have been bought by the Hickies and Delanys. In July 1862 the estate of the administrator of William Firman,, deceased, at Muckloon "now called Firmount", 85 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale. The Irish Times reports its purchase in trust for Samuel D. Biggs."

-----------

My George HOOD of Selby is supposed to have COOK and PEARSON connections.

Mark