Author Topic: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby  (Read 6327 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Tate of Wistow; Rimington of Pontefract; Todd, Turner & Wharrey of Selby
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 July 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have posted some Ship Muster & Payments Book snippets here, relating to John Hood of Selby, born Scarborough:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6541301#msg6541301

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 21:41 BST (UK) »

----------

One of the Leppington's at Scarborough had a sibling. *

-----------

John HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner, to Sarah HAMMOND, 1778 London Marriage Bond (Saint Giles in the Fields), Bondsman was a John ROE.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6449908#msg6449908

----------

Hello All

I have got a copy of that John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, Widower & Sarah Hammond, Widow, Marriage at St Giles in the Fields, 1778 (Anc. has it under Camden in the listing, then St Giles).

But everything I touch re my George Hood quest is a disaster!

How about this for the two witness signatures?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799830.msg6573362#msg6573362

Thank you, Mark

(* there was also a Mary Johnson Leppington (1754) )

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 September 18 05:47 BST (UK) »
Widow Sarah Hammond ?

Could her maiden name a Cook or Pearson  or others surnames on your list.

A second, or third time widow of a few deceased husband mariners who died at sea or  ill health disease of the time.  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 September 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you dobfarm. If only I knew.

Whilst on a Roll (pardon the pun) with these Vessel Musters, we'll have a look at the earlier Scarborough Muster Rolls (from 1747) next, to see if I can get a Birthplace for George Hood, Mariner, who married Maudlin Spencer.

George Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, might not be born Scarborough and there might be a Hood family with descendants elsewhere, that can be brought forward / investigated.

--------

John Turner (Selby Land Tax), occupied the Presbyterian Chapel (1781 to 1789) and was Landlord to John Hood of Selby, Mariner and I found this about a Rev Wm Turner, Presbyterian Pastor ...

Leeds Intelligencer, 1st September 1794
A reference to the death of the Rev. Wm Turner, in his 80th year, who was the Pastor to the Congregation of the Presbyterian Protestant Dissenters at Wakefield.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

Referring to John Hood [Master Mariner, Abode Selby, Born Scarbro'] occupying one part of a House divided into two Tenements at Mill Gate, Selby in the 1780s.

Property Indentures dated 5 & 6th April 1790 - Registered 1792 - Vol. DH, page 485, No 613 Eadon & Ors to Spencer.

Eadon [and John Turner, Tallow Chandler] & Others to John Spencer, Grocer (later a Gent)

The same House at Selby, divided into two Tenements changed owners in 1790. I am wondering if any of those Surnames named in the 1790 property transfer quoted had any links to a HOOD please:-

Thomas EADON of Selby, Gentleman (looked at before).
William RIMINGTON of Pontefract, Yeoman.
Joseph TATE of Wistow, Yeoman.
John TODD of Selby, Tanner.
John TURNER of Selby, Tallow Chandler. Grocer and a Book Keeper a few years later.
John SPENCER of Selby, Grocer. (later a Gent.)
Morley WHARREY of Selby, Gentleman.

Jno Todd
Witnessed by Jno Dodsworth and John Myers.

Added: Wm Russel & Benj'm Russel both born Selby were also sailing in and out of Hull in 1783.

Benjamin Russel's, Daughter of Selby

Ann Russell married John Turner, 1765 in Selby
(Witnesses Ann Morley & Goseph Morley)

Wm Turner (25yrs) marr. Mary Field (23 Sp'r) 1791.     Mary Turner marr. Samuel Blythe 1798
Cordwainer                                                                     (Wits. Ann Turner & Mary COOK)
(Wits. John Leck & Saml Blythe)                                   First Dau 1799 Sarah Blythe, bapt.
First Dau. 28 Sept. 1792 Ann Turner                             No descent for Blythe.

------------

Various Jottings because John Hood of Selby [Mariner] was living in a house of John Turner Chandler / Grocer

Ann Turner marr. George Morley 25 Nov 1802

John Turner (30) Grocer marr. Hannah Gowland (21) at Selby 16th August 1778

4 September 1779 - John TURNER bapt.
First son of John Turner & Hannah [Gowland] Selby
John Turner Grocer & Chandler
Descent - John son of Henry Turner of Selby, Grocer & Chandler by Mary his wife, dau of John Todd of Selby, Innholder. Hannah dau of Richard Gowland of Cawood, Bricklayer.

Previously Hannah Gowland and John Todd looks to have witnessed the following Marriage of
John Halliday marr. Mary Breasley 19th February 1778 at Selby
(Wits. Hannah Gowland; Jno Todd & John Dickinson Jun'r)

The premises at Selby taken over by George Hood were occupied by Tho's Halliday & R'd Gibson (1800 Land Tax & confirmed in later Deed Petre to Hood)

Morley Wharrey has showed up in a Family Bible mentioning the Morleys at Gainsborough (the place where John Dean, owner of the Industry vessel resided, which was sailed from Hull by John Hood, Master.

It does seem that if George Hood was living at Selby with John Hood of Selby, Mariner, John Hood (via his Landlord) & George Hood were already in contact with people that had connections to Russell, Turner, Morley, Burton and John Halliday who all seem connected.

Thomas Halliday partly occupied the business premises George Hood would take over.

-----------

Also found mentioned at Selby 25 March 1780 Mary Dau of
William Cooke (Mariner) & Mary Chester (Daughter of Hue Chester, Mariner of Rocliff, Parish of Snaith)

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Morley Wharrey was baptised in Selby 1753 son of Thomas Wharrey & Margaret Morley

In 1760 Thomas Wharrey widower married Judith Bacon widow (wife Marg. buried Selby 1758)

Judith HARDY married a 'Mr' Henry Bacon of Selby in 1754. - Judith Wharrey's burial record in Selby confirms the Hardy parentage (of Snaith)

This Henry is not the Henry son of John BACON & Hannah HOOD but wondered if he was a brother of John Bacon or some relation ?

Possibly a bit of a Hood link.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Referring to my Reply #40, John Turner, Chandler & Grocer (John Hood's Landlord at Selby in the 1780s) was related to Sarah Russell's family and Sarah Russell became Wife of George Hood and Sarah Russell's Mother related to Burton.

Amended
Also does the same John Turner also link to Morley, Morley Wharrey and Burton of Brayton and Cook?

Added.
James Morley and Hannah Burton married Brayton 1796.
When Jane Morley was baptised 3 Aug 1797, the Register (Selby transcriptions) said Hannah was the Dau of John Burton of Burn, Parish of Brayton.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello

Going back to the Baptism of Sarah Russell at Selby the actual Selby Register page gives her Russell lineage as

Sarah Russel First Daur Of William Russel of Selby Sailer - Son of John Russel of Selby afores'd Lab'r. by Martha his Wife.
1793 Born 30th September, Baptism 9th October

According to the Selby Transcriptions:-
17th May 1792 William Russel, Sailor, Married Mary Burton, both of this Parish.
By Banns by Mounsey, Curate. William aged 29: Mary aged 20.
Witnesses: Henry Popplewell & George Tarbotton.

Comment: No surname for Martha ? [possibly Martha Hodgson - see next]

------------

However, looking at the Selby Transcriptions ...

Born & Baptised 17th June 1779
Mary & Martha Vincent baptised twin daughters of John Vincent, Mariner & Elizabeth.
Elizabeth daughter of John Russel of Selby, Labourer by Martha his Wife, Daughter of Thos Hodgson of Featherstone, Tayler.

Unfortunately, nothing on John Vincent's lineage and we didn't photograph even one whole volume of the numerous Hull Muster Roll Volumes! I don't have any Vincent in the Hull Mariner's Rolls photographed, which also cover Selby Births and/or Abodes.

27th November 1778 John Vincent (25) Mariner, Married Elizabeth Russel (21), Both of Selby.

-----------

Interesting that later (next century) a Matilda Vincent Hood, birth was registered at Langrick (near Carlton / Drax) in the Registration District of Selby and these Vincent Hoods came from Ditchingham in Norfolk.

-----------

However, it looks as if Sarah Russell's descent might be the same and therefore Martha Hodgson was also possibly Sarah Russel's Grandmother?

John Russel and Martha [Hodgson], don't seem to have married at Selby?

I wonder where they married, please?

-----------

Some Selby Deaths / Burials (from Transcriptions only) which might be helpful during research:-

22nd October 1805 Martha Russel, died, Widow, Selby. Died aged 86 & buried in the Church Yard.
[born about 1719]

11th September 1780 Benjamin Russel, died, Selby, Farmer, buried in the Church Yard. Decay of Nature aged 95.
[born about 1685]

12th April 1796 John Russel, Died, Selby, Fisherman, John was the Son of Benjamin Russel of Selby Farmer by Mary his Wife. John died of Decay of Nature aged 78 & bd in the Church Yard.
[born about 1718]

28th November  1796 Mary Russel, died, Widow, Selby, Died aged 73. Decay of Nature & buried in the Church Yard.
[born about 1723]

(Incorrect spellings - as spelt in transcriptions)

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

John Russel of Selby and Martha Hotchson of Drax married 10 Feb 1754 after Banns at Drax.

Both signed
Witnesses:  William Pullein and Edward Waud
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk