Author Topic: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication  (Read 6969 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Re: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Monty Python script CarolA3 - now there's an idea for another thread!
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
I remember my Father asking me which is the greater...6 Dozen Dozen or Half a Dozen dozen My 7 year old logic told me they were the same....he said "Go away and think about it and see if you still think the same"  ;D
I did...and gave the right answer  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 March 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
I remember my Father asking me which is the greater...6 Dozen Dozen or Half a Dozen dozen My 7 year old logic told me they were the same....he said "Go away and think about and see if you still think the same"  ;D
I did...and gave the right answer  ;)
Carol
My logic gives a different answer
864 and 72

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 March 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
It does make a difference if it is spoken rather than written down Mike....I take it you are older than 7 years old  ???  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 March 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
It does make a difference if it is spoken rather than written down Mike....I take it you are older than 7 years old  ???  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
marginally older yes. I am now saying it out loud

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 25 March 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Carol
marginally older yes. I am now saying it out loud
No, despite getting funny looks in the restaurant I still don't get it , you'll have to explain!

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Misread the first message entirely (not used to reading posts on a phone), so now understand!
No need to explain.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
This is a very interesting thread and this has stirred up a lot of memories... In infant school and then junior school I had lots of bad experiences with maths.  No kidding - by the end of my first term at school I had developed a maths phobia which remained with me until well into adulthood.  I was good with my own pocket money but that was about it.  I used to run shopping errands for my Mother at the weekend and for a long time I didn't even like handling this money so I would just hand over the shopping note and the purse to shopkeepers.  (I was quite an innocent child so had no mistrust as I believed that most people were honest apart from people such as robbers who could easily be identified by their black masks, stripey jumpers, swag bags and evil sneers)

I eventually achieved O and A levels in different subjects but nothing in maths.  One year later in life I went to do a nightclass in human biology.  All was going well until a few weeks before the exam and then we were given some test papers.  These included two questions relating to percentages and fractions.  Just seeing these questions made me feel so anxious.  I resolved that when the exam was over I would look for a numeracy class and try to beat this maths fear once and for all.

This was a great step as the teacher (who taught both literacy and numeracy) was so friendly and supportive.

Everyone worked through units At their own pace and did a little test at the end.  I remember starting my first test. Initially, although this sounds silly I felt a bit sick and I began to shake.  However, I told myself to pull myself together and that nothing bad was going to happen to me - I wasn't going to be punished if I didn't pass and nothing depended on this.  I was only doing this to try to develop my confidence with numeracy.  Anyway, I passed the test and all the other test units that followed.

At the end of the course my maths phobia had totally gone.  I actually quite enjoy maths now and no longer feel the terror I once felt.  In my class was one regal looking old lady in her nineties who just joined for the same reason as me - to get over a life-long phobia.I

I am not claiming that I am now 'great' at maths but I no longer get that sinking feeling if anything to do with maths crops up.  I have more of a 'can do' attitude and have no more feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness about this.

As a result of my own experience, I would thoroughly recommend that if anyone has any left over numeracy or literacy issues from schooldays - join a local adult education class.  Take it from me these issues can be overcome. ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
I'm delighted to find that others share my mathematical ineptitude! I could always manage money, and was really good at practical geometry, but arithmetic and algebra (shudder!!!) were totally bewildering to me at School. I was even put in for one Science "O" level ( I was all Arts & Languages) at a late stage in 5th form, as everyone realised I'd never ever manage a Maths pass, of any grade, for University entrance. Fortunately I got it!
Married an very good mathematician, actually, bless him. That wasn't his main attraction, I hasten to add!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)