Author Topic: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: £.s.d (Pounds stirling, shillings and pence) multiplication
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I must admit I don't understand modern maths, JB.  But then I never shone at the old stuff either.  However, in my businesses I've never had any trouble with counting the money and doing my books, because it isn't abstract and actually means something.  But I have to confess that I failed my GCE O level Maths and because I was considered somewhat wanting in that department, I was put in for RSA Elementary Arithmetic Stage 1, with all the rest of the mathematical dumbos.  When the results came through, it turned out that all the others got distinctions in the exam whilst I just managed to scrape a pass.  In my defence I have to add that I got top marks for English, History, Biology, French etc..... but maths has always been a mystery to me.  Unless we are talking money.   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I agree with £149 3s 4d - gosh, it's a long time since I've done that kind of arithmetic!   ;D

Yes, agree with this. Decimalisation is much easier!

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm 60 and wouldn't have any problem doing LSD arithmetic, but I love maths, but I must be about the last Generation that learned it.

I must be a sad old groat.

Martin

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 March 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I am reminded that when I was 15 I worked in the local Woolworths as a Saturday girl, and one of my first placements was in the grocery section.  This was rather like a very small supermarket where customers filled hand-held wire baskets with groceries and took them to the till.  The tills we had didn't add up - we had to do that in our heads.  I would challenge people nowadays brought up with the joys of decimalisation to add up 'on the hoof' up to twenty items in the basket with prices such as 2/9d, 6d, 9/11d, 4 1/2d, 3/9d, etc etc etc.  On reflection, we were pretty bright in those days.  No calculators, no computers.....
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Before I  found my niche in information technology I worked as a barman 40 years ago . It seemed so easy then to be able to add up six or   eight drinks while trying to enjoy your own drink at the same time.  Now the tills have a button for each drink. And they calculate the change.

Martin

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
When I was about 18, I went to work in the Bank of New Zealand - the job was mainly the Manager's typist. Sometimes I also worked on the bookeeping machine, debiting and crediting to and from clients accounts.  This was before computers of course. 

I just thought of something funny!  I had an algebra exam, marks - 3%. My maths teacher was an old dragon ( well, with me anyway, I was so useless)!  The 3% was for neatness, and spelling my name correctly.  Zero for the Algebra!

I worked as a stand-in teller in the lunch breaks, which was actually a very busy time, as a lot of the local businesses did their banking between 1 and 2 pm. 

One day, there was my old dragon Maths Teacher standing in my queue!  Oh dear... I had hoped she might change to another teller before she reached me, but no -  didn't happen! 

There she stood in front of me.... looked very puzzled, and while I was checking her cash deposit,  she said "How in Heaven's name did YOU ever get a job as a bank teller" ??? ??? ???

I smiled and told her " we have REALLY Excellent tutors, but please don't interrupt me while I'm counting your cash, sorry, but I'll have to start again. Her face went very red, (just as it did in the classroom) but I  started again.... really...really...slowly! 🐢🐢 

Many years later, I met up with her again, when I was a "mature student" at Teachers college.  I was doing my first teaching practice with Juniors, and she was one of the overseer's.  Fortunately she wasn't doing Juniors, just as well!  I didn't know she was at the school until I saw her in the staffroom at morning tea!  Oh Noooo!  I grabbed my cuppa and promptly went outside, and walked around the playground with some littlies. I don't know whether she saw me or not, but if she did, I don't think she would have recognised me anyway, all those years later.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 18 02:54 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this message is going to be a bit controversial but, I'm 26 and it is crazy that a system like this even existed in the first place. My Nan has tried explaining it to me many times and I just do not get it haha.
Then I wind her up and say we should get rid of miles and mph as that's also a system that doesn't make sense and replace it with kilometres and kmh  :P

However, it is probably worth still learning it!  :)
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 March 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
Took me a while, but I did work it out, needed pen and paper though.  My excuse is that in Australia we changed to decimal in 1966.  Boy that was a long time ago.  ;D ;D. It took longer for us to change to metric measurement and I still find it hard to visualise distances and at times convert or relate to something I know such as my height or a ruler.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 March 18 05:55 BST (UK) »

things like Quiseniere (spg?) Rods

Cuisenaire, I could have googled ;D, but looked up one of my school reports, as we used them back in the early 60's for Arithemetic.

Some times I still ask, without thinking, quilting material in yards. :D

Cheers
KHP