Author Topic: Robert Henry Wigton bn New York abt 1838  (Read 553 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robert Henry Wigton bn New York abt 1838
« on: Saturday 24 March 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find information about Robert Henry Wigton, said to be from New York, possibly Brooklyn, born about 1938. He became a ship's engineer, and went to China about 1866 as engineer on the "Fungshui".
He had a son, Thomas Wigton and also a daughter, Annie Wigton, both born in China. I think the son, Thomas, claiming US status by declaration to the US Consulate in Shanghai about 1911, eventually emigrated to California and settled in the Bay area
Robert Wigton owned and/or operated small coastal steamships in North China, likely between Shanghai, Tientsin and Peking. The last known was the "Fei-Yuen" which was launched in 1873 in Hongkew, Shanghai and was towed north to Taku for service on the Peiho River. There was also a steamer by the name "Fei-Lung" likely a sistership to the Fei-yuen
Wigton doesn't seems to be as common a name as I'd have thought. Maybe someone has some ideas.
Thanks,
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henry Wigton bn New York abt 1838
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks RJ. I didn't have that funeral invoice for Thomas ( R H Wigton's son ) It does have some errors but likely the information was supplied by his wife who may not have known her husband's exact details. She was at least the second wife, maybe even the third. His first was Marion Hall, also somewhat of a mystery woman. They were married in Nagasaki, Japan and seemed to have returned to the states together, or at least were in touch, likely because of the children.
I'd still like to find out more about RH Wigton, the father who died out in China. Every bit helps.
My end goal is actually to find Annie Wigton, who I'm fairly confident was Thomas Wigton's sister. Annie was married to married to John Cock in Shanghai so is related to me distantly. It's all part of a very round about way of hopefully uncovering my own Asian roots.
Brian

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 18:50 BST (UK) »

His first was Marion Hall, also somewhat of a mystery woman. They were married in Nagasaki, Japan and seemed to have returned to the states together, or at least were in touch, likely because of the children.

It appears Marion had some issues with the truth. It also appears she married several times(?) as did her mother to add to the confusion.

She is listed as Mrs. Marion Wigton of Chico  in her mother's obit in 1927. The obit also list her younger siblings  whose last names were Moran, not Hall. I guess her mother Carolyn was married to a Hall before she married H.W. Moran in 1894. But on the 1900 census she claims to be the mother of 2 with 2 living. Just Sidney & Doris are listed.

In 1930 Marion is listed with last name Johnson and with a son b.1928, no husband is listed on the census.

1930 census:https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCX2-2SM

Marion dies in 1938 as Mary Duncan.

CADI: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKSM-BYFD

The Press Democrat
Santa Rosa, California
Saturday, February 26, 1938 - Page 3

Mrs. Mary Duncan, operator of the Tree Inn in lower Fourth street, died yesterday from pneumonia after an illness of several days. Mrs. Duncan, who had lived here 12 years, recently purchased the Tree Inn, which she had remodeled. A native of Chicago, she was 52 years old and had lived in California 40 years. Three sons, Thomas Wigton of San Diego; Robert Wigton of Los Angeles, and David Johnson of Santa Rosa; a sister, Mrs. Doris Howell of Santa Rosa, and a brother Sidney Moran of Sonoma survive. Private funeral services will be hold Tuesday in the Hampton and Eggen chapel, followed by cremation

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
RJ, This is all very interesting and it seems she truly was a mystery. People traveled around and it looks as though they all changed their names and ages and places of origin, as it suited them. There does appear to be a thread of truth to follow, that being the children Robert and Thomas who apparently kept the "Jr" after his name, which makes him a little easier to track.
The dates do sort of coincide with other records; she could have gone out to China/Japan in the early 1900s. There were some adventurous ladies in the day ( Emily Hahn is an good example ) but one wonders what her connections might have been. There's quite a lot of documentation for Thomas Wigton and they did both return to the US, although how long they stayed as a couple, I'm not sure. The children, although close in age, did not look very alike. Clearly more study is needed. Marion Hall as pictured in her passport photo with her son, looks like she could also have some Asian genetics.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
1930 Census shows Thomas Wigton as divorced and living at 1823 Fillmore, San Francisco with his two sons, and maybe Jean M Brehman ( listed at same address )