Author Topic: William Woodside and Amelia Woodside  (Read 4596 times)

Offline ambitubby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Woodside and Amelia Woodside
« on: Sunday 25 March 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching my tree and have found what I believe to be my Grandfather's first marriage to Amelia Robb 30/11/1900 They have a son Abraham 14/07/1901 in Belfast as per 1901 census. I can find no trace of Amelia or Abraham in the 1911 census I do however find William (if he is the same one) in Buttevant Barracks in Cork with the South Lancashire Regiment he is a regular who enlisted 1904, I've looked in Scotland and passenger list for emigration but no success. Any help would be gratefully accepted. William remarried in Belfast 9/11/1918 to Margaret McCashin.   

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Woodside and Amelia Woodside
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
The William Woodside in the 1918 marriage is a bachelor. So either it is a different William Woodside to the one who married in 1900, or if it is the same man perhaps he lied to conceal a bigamous marriage?

There were 3 William Woodsides aged around 22/23 in the 1901 census so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility it’s a different William.

Likewise the 1911 census William in Cork is a bachelor. So may not be the right man. (Though his age, county of birth, denomination and occupation do seem right).

Abraham Woodside died 7.3.1902 Belfast.
Elwyn

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
Is this the couple in 1901 living in the same house as her parents?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankill_Ward/Cambrai_Street/984208/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankill_Ward/Cambrai_Street/984207/

If so, what looks like the same whole family of Robert and Elizabeth (Molloy) Robb moved to Keene, New Hampshire, in several journeys in 1906 - 1907, this included a daughter Amelia Robb who was described as single, Amelia went on to marry a Theron Barnes in 1911 and died in Keene in 1932. The family appear in Keene in the 1910 US census (inc. a 'single' Amelia) and while their ages are all over the place, it still is a reasonable 'fit' on names alone.

Though perhaps someone else could review this, in case I've picked it all up wrong.

Offline ambitubby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eiwyn I don't know how I missed that death notice, The connection between William in the 1901 and the 1911 census is tenuous, most of the details fit but it's not 100%. The William in Cork is the right man according to the army number with his name, it's the same as the military records that I have for my Grandfather. He was born @ 1880/81 was 23y 11mths when he joined the army in Dungannon 1904.I can't find him on the 1901 census in Shrigley Village where his mother Margaret lives. Hence the interest in William & Amelia.
Gaffy that was the entry that I found for the marriage but as Elwyn has discovered Abraham died very young. So confused and back to the drawing board for me.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ambitubby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey I have all of those, the Margaret in the last one is Williams mother, In his military records it lists one brother George and one sister Margaret and his Mum as next of kin, the Margaret in the census as Stevenson must be Williams sister.  The ten children would need a little more digging i suspect but George,William and Margaret definitely fits the bill as the three surviving offspring.

Could this be George?
 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02923/2071292.pdf
George Wedding?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10343/5765384.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
You may have all that information but it helps to post links so that everyone tryong to help can see the same details  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ambitubby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, I'll remember in future.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 March 18 16:15 BST (UK) »

...Gaffy that was the entry that I found for the marriage but as Elwyn has discovered Abraham died very young. So confused and back to the drawing board for me.

I'm confused as well...  :)

Are we now saying that the William Woodside who married Amelia Robb isn't your / the correct William Woodside?  If you have been working back methodically / bit by bit on William, I'm wondering if it would help folk to know what the last information you have on him that is really robust / sound ?...