Author Topic: Illegitimate?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate?
« on: Sunday 25 March 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain a ten year gap between the birth of my G-Grandmother 1838-40 prior to her parent's marriage 1850?
The families were religious Presbyterian families on both sides.
There were no other children born between her birth 1838-40 and the so called parent's marriage 1850.
The mother would have been aged 21-23 at her birth!
I have gathered much information on the Fathers family [as always stated by her as her Dad], now I am faced with maybe the possibility that he adopted her and I'm not related to him at all???
He [the so called father] mentioned her in his will, although only left half the amount of the other…. Sibling's..children's legacies, does that mean anything?
If it was correct that they are both the correct parents why would they not have married sooner?
I am at a loss as to the next step I could take to prove one way or another?
She always declared she was born  Killyleagh Co. Down. To these parents!
My G-Grandmother came to Australia at age 16 and never returned to Ireland.
I would love to hear the views of people in Ireland of the probabilities of the reasons this could have been!
Kaz

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
Since you do not have the baptism (1838-1840) how do you even know who the mother is, let alone the father. ?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
 I have her 3 marriage certificates, all her children's birth certificates, and her death and every one of them say her age is c1838-40 also shipping records as well. Also have wills. Our Aust certificates give a very detailed  records!
My mother also had knowledge of her Grandmother as her father was the son. We just don't have her baptism to prove who her biological father really is?
 Have had DNA done so that may help when I eventually get it back.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
When is the first date you have her father's name recorded? It may be that he was actually her stepfather.
Do you have the 1850 marriage to see exactly what details are listed?

If you post her name and those of her 'parents' we might be able to help further.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Yes I have her so called parents marriage certificate, death certificates and monumental inscriptions, also the Fathers will that she is mentioned in.
I know every detail about the rest of the supposed fathers families.
I would suspect she would be the biological daughter of her Mother and that is what I am struggling with. I need Her Mothers parents marriage and her baptism.
I have the death certificate of her grandfather  and the monumental inscriptions. on both sides of her parents.
Thank you for your help

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Go back and read this post.

Where do you even mention her by name?
What makes you think we know her name if you haven't told us what it was?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
It's really difficult to help further without knowing names, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

With regard to the father’s will, was her personal state different to her sibling e.g. married or more prosperous?

As has been mentioned, perhaps her mother was married previously. Is she described as a spinster on the marriage record?

Can you trace the mother back?

With a ten year gap, it seems unlikely that she is the full daughter of the marriage, especially, if the mother who would then be in her thirties had several healthy children.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate? >>>> Completed Thank you!<<<
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 18 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your comments and help regarding my request below.
>>> Can anyone explain a ten-year gap between the birth of my G-Grandmother 1838-40 prior her parent's marriage 1850? <<<
 and
>>> I would love to hear the views of people in Ireland of the probabilities of the reasons this could have been. <<<
 It is obvious I have not explained myself clearly by  the comments returned. I apologise for that!
I feel we all need to more diligent when reading posts… it is so easy to miss what has been ask.
These being the replies.
PaulineJ  >>> Since you do not have the baptism (1838-1840) how do you even know who the mother is, let alone the father. ?” Go back and read this post.<<<

[We are talking about my Mothers Grandmother.]

PaulineJ>>> Where do you even mention her by name?
What makes you think we know her name if you haven't told us what it was? <<<

It was not my intention of giving names, I have already completed her tree from age 16 to her death, I was not asking for a search. I am not a beginner at this game.

My purpose was to ask what other people thought of the situation for those times in Ireland?

Thank you one and all, keep up your great work! I very much appreciate all the help I have  had over the years.
Kaz