Author Topic: Illegitimate?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 March 18 07:26 BST (UK) »
A lot depends on individual families.

The baby could be introduced as a sibling or child of older sister  ... many children never knew or were never told later in life
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 March 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you hallmark,
I am guessing that must have happened because she gave her children the fathers surname as second names, but not her mothers side surnames!
Thanks again,
Kaz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 March 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your comments and help regarding my request below.
>>> Can anyone explain a ten-year gap between the birth of my G-Grandmother 1838-40 prior her parent's marriage 1850? <<<
 and
>>> I would love to hear the views of people in Ireland of the probabilities of the reasons this could have been. <<<
 It is obvious I have not explained myself clearly by  the comments returned. I apologise for that!
I feel we all need to more diligent when reading posts… it is so easy to miss what has been ask.
These being the replies.
PaulineJ  >>> Since you do not have the baptism (1838-1840) how do you even know who the mother is, let alone the father. ?” Go back and read this post.<<<
[We are talking about my Mothers Grandmother.]
PaulineJ>>> Where do you even mention her by name?
What makes you think we know her name if you haven't told us what it was? <<<
It was not my intention of giving names, I have already completed her tree from age 16 to her death, I was not asking for a search. I am not a beginner at this game.
My purpose was to ask what other people thought of the situation for those times in Ireland?
Thank you one and all, keep up your great work! I very much appreciate all the help I have  had over the years.
Kaz

First of all, you seem to think that we haven't paid attention to what you'd written. Research, especially Irish research, is not always straight forward. Sometimes you need to expand a search further than anticipated in order to look at other possibilities. We could, and have already, speculated about this ten year gap but there are many possible reasons for this which is why more details were asked of you.
Many people don't always know the names of their grandparents, let alone great-grandparents, and in earlier times they may not even have been sure of their mother's Christian name.
You did say "I am at a loss as to the next step I could take to prove one way or another? " and we were trying to help you with this. Here's one example-
As has been mentioned, perhaps her mother was married previously. Is she described as a spinster on the marriage record?
Many of us have been research for decades and know various resources to check that you might never have heard of before and new information is constantly being out online (census records, vital records, etc.). I've only been doing Irish research since the early 1970s and am constantly learning new things.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rgouette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 April 18 03:12 BST (UK) »
I thought it was just me, when I said to myself, "where are the names??"
I don't get it..

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:>>>Completed thank you<<< Illegitimate?
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 April 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
A lot depends on individual families.

The baby could be introduced as a sibling or child of older sister  ... many children never knew or were never told later in life

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:>>>Completed thank you<<< Illegitimate?
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 April 18 03:51 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain a ten year gap between the birth of my G-Grandmother 1838-40 prior to her parent's marriage 1850?
The families were religious Presbyterian families on both sides.
There were no other children born between her birth 1838-40 and the so called parent's marriage 1850.
The mother would have been aged 21-23 at her birth!
I have gathered much information on the Fathers family [as always stated by her as her Dad], now I am faced with maybe the possibility that he adopted her and I'm not related to him at all???
He [the so called father] mentioned her in his will, although only left half the amount of the other…. Sibling's..children's legacies, does that mean anything?
If it was correct that they are both the correct parents why would they not have married sooner?
I am at a loss as to the next step I could take to prove one way or another?
She always declared she was born  Killyleagh Co. Down. To these parents!
My G-Grandmother came to Australia at age 16 and never returned to Ireland.
I would love to hear the views of people in Ireland of the probabilities of the reasons this could have been!
Kaz

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 April 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
There are a number of possibilities for the gap between the child’s birth and the parent’s marriage.
Could the couple have split and lost touch before the girl knew she was pregnant?
Could either of the parent’s have been married previously?
Could the father have gone to prison?
Could he have emigrated?
There was a hurricane across Ireland on 6th January 1839 (the night of the big wind) could they have lost touch and thought the other had died (up to 400 people perished)?

These are just a few of the questions that spring to mind.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.