Author Topic: Chester Castle Goal / Assizes  (Read 396 times)

Offline andy243

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chester Castle Goal / Assizes
« on: Sunday 25 March 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather, John Jefferies, appeared at Chester Assizes (6 December 1860) for trial on a charge of Assaulting a Gamekeeper to avoid his lawful apprehension. John was found guilty and sentenced to a term of imprisonment.  It would appear that he also received lashes will in prison.  However; I am unable to read the record properly, or find anything further about the case or even the prison.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Chester Castle Goal / Assizes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
I can only find one entry regarding John Jeffries. His crime was "Assaulting Gamekeeper with intent to resist his lawful apprehension" and he received 9 Calendar months hard labour. No other information given.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
There's a detailed account of the initial court hearing in the Cheshire Observer of 1 September 1860, page 4 column 1.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

If you live in England or Wales, then I suggest that you visit your local library and see whether they have a subscription to FindMyPast.  The Cheshire Observer entry is showing within the collection.  Use the surname Jeffries, rather than Jefferies.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Andy

Have sent you a PM with an account in the newspaper about rabbit catching. I use British Newspaper Archive which  you have pay a subscription too. I also use 19th century British Newspapers which I get through my local library online using my library ticket. The Cheshire Observer is in both resources, but neither report what happened to John Jeffries in prison.

Tom

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Andy - where did you see the bit about lashes? The criminal record just says 9 months hard labour as Emeltom has said.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk