Author Topic: James Tassie McDougall (1878-1936), 55 Lily Street, Glasgow  (Read 614 times)

Offline ElleCid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tassie McDougall (1878-1936), 55 Lily Street, Glasgow
« on: Sunday 25 March 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm researching my step-dad's family tree as a surprise for his 60th birthday.  I have located his grandfather but I'm struggling to find where he is buried or the circumstances surrounding his death as I can't find an obituary.

Can anyone help?

He was called James Tassie McDougall, born on 04 Jun 1878 to Charles and Elizabeth (nee Strang).  He married Jeanie Ross Burns Dunn (born 22 Jun 1888) on 12 Jun 1908 at 872 Great Easterton Road, Glasgow.  He resided at 55 Lily Street, Glasgow and worked as a paper maker and later a labourer.  He was last seen alive at 0645 hours on 03 Nov 1936 and was subsequently found in the River Clyde about 600 yards east of Belivdere Hospital, having drowned.  I'm trying to establish if this was suicide or some sort of tragic accident.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Tassie McDougall (1878-1936), 55 Lily Street, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Is there anything written in the left hand panel of the death cert. ?

Register of Corrected Entries
The Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) - the Register of Corrections Etc from 1966 - records additional authorised information about the death following registration. This usually means further details about cause of death in cases of sudden, accidental and violent deaths. An RCE reference is inserted beside the original entry in the statutory register of deaths. Images of entries with an RCE include a link to the RCE page which is free to view.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-deaths

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ElleCid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Tassie McDougall (1878-1936), 55 Lily Street, Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is, the correction states that the "body was found on 4th November 1936 at 10.15am in River Clyde, 600 yards east of Belvidere Hospital, Glasgow. Last seen alive about 6.45am on 3rd November 1936. Usual residence 55 Lily Street, Glasgow".  Cause of death is drowning but given that the river is a short walk from his usual residence, I'm wondering if it was intentional or what the actual circumstances were surrounding him going missing?

Thanks,