Author Topic: Arthur Henry Locke in Canada  (Read 1260 times)

Offline LockeLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Henry Locke in Canada
« on: Monday 26 March 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
 I would like to solve a family mystery concerning my father Arthur Henry Locke, born 1909. He grew up in Kingweston in Somerset. There is a family tale that, as a young man seeking adventure, he went off to Canada for two years working as a lumberjack in Saskatchewan. He told us that they worked for six months at a time in the woods and then went into Saskatoon, the capital, on a spending spree before returning to the woods again. At the end of the two years he used his savings to sail home again and arrived home essentially penniless from his adventure! This would have occurred somewhere in the year range 1925-1935. His next of kin would probably be given as  Mrs G LOCKE Orchard View Kingweston, Somerset. Not everyone in the family believed this tale. Please can you find any evidence to show that his tale is true.
Lock(e), Penny, Look, Spearing, Somerset (UK)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Henry Locke in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Passenger records are available on Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc.
Have you looked there?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LockeLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Several years ago I attempted to trace my father's journey using family history websites with shipping records and suchlike without success. My subscriptions have fallen out of date. It is possible that something new may have become accessible since then. Also, from experience, the sleuths on RootsChat have much more experience than I shall ever have and might possibly turn up something that I had missed.
Thanks to those who may have taken up the challenge yet drawn a blank.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a moderator could move your post to the Canada board where you may get a better response.  Obviously no census records after 1921,  the passenger lists might be your only way of finding him.

That must be the guy who married Winifred M Spearing 1935 - Langport Somerset - 5 c 765

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LockeLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Yes. Arthur Henry Locke did marry Winifred May Spearing in 1935 for a lifelong marriage. Photos taken at that time can be seen on http://kingweston.atspace.com/lookingback2.html.
I will try to get the post moved to the Canada board as you suggest. Thank you for your suggestion.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You can search Canadian passenger lists for free at the Library and Archives Canada site.

Passenger lists from 1925-1935 are searchable by name. 
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists-border-entry-1925-1935/Pages/search.aspx

If you find a match (I had a look and I didn't find him), then you use the port of arrival, volume and page number to look up the image of the passenger list page in the microform collections

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=pgu74hjaupu9qmj7ao9j21gtb3

In case he came in 1924... you would have to look at the Form 30A arrivals.  These are available on Ancestry and for free at the Library and Archives Canada site.  They are easy to search on Ancestry, but take a bit of time to search on the LAC site. 

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/ocean-arrivals/Pages/ocean-arrivals.aspx?PHPSESSID=a6ki0gslbtu3rhtovp2ff10ke7

He may have entered Canada by way of the United States too... have you looked at passenger lists to the USA?

RK

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Haven't been able to find your Arthur but would like to say.....

You might check if your local public library subscibes to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to world records, if I remember correctly. Libraries sometimes also subscribe to Find My Past.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LockeLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
My thanks to polar bear and RunKitty for helpful pointers.
I am on the case...

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Pretty illusive chap if he did go to Canada - had a few attempts but sadly drawn a blank.  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk