Author Topic: New Website - 'Find That Memorial Inscription '  (Read 1121 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Website - 'Find That Memorial Inscription '
« on: Monday 26 March 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
https://findthatmi.wordpress.com/contribute/

This is a new website which has been set up by a family historian for fellow researchers to share information on headstones and memorial inscriptions.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Website - 'Find That Memorial Inscription '
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Seems to concentrate on certain areas of England?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
Well if you add RootsChat to the 'Useful Websites' page then it would be a great start if you're mentioning the site here.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey and trystan for your posts.

I can see 346 places currently listed on the list with places with memorial incriptions.  (Go into menu, then home and you will see the sheets)  You are correct aghadowey in that certain areas seem to be concentrated on.
 Hopefully, the list will develop further if there may be people out there who are able and willing to contribute.

I have sent an email explaining that I have put a post on here and that someone has suggested that RootsChat should be added on the useful websites.  I agree with this suggestion of yours trystan as RootsChat is surely one of the best 'Useful Websites' out there.

I have given my RootsChat User name so hopefully the person running the new website will find it easy to find my post.  I had to send a second email as my auto correct put me down as River Tyne Lads on the first send.  Hopefully, I will receive a response in the next few days.  I will let you know on here about any response.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
I have just received an email from the person who is running the memorial inscription website I have mentioned here. 

This person is going to put a link to RootsChat on the site as suggested.  This is likely to happen very soon perhaps either today or tomorrow. :)

This person has obviously now read my post and has pointed out something which had not occurred to me.  This person thinks that others may have thought this was MY website.  If so, I will take this opportunity to point out that this is not my website - this is a website which belongs to someone I do not know.

I just read about this site this morning and thought it was a good idea.  This is why I thought I would let other RootsChatters know about this.

I apologise if I have confused any of you with my post and inadvertently led you to think the mi website is mine - it is not.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Well, this person has been as good as their word - they have now added a link to RootsChat! :D

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
For anyone interested, there is a two page article on the said website in the April issue of Family Tree Magazine, including a picture of Colin Ashworth, the creator.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jebber for adding this information.  I did put the name of the magazine up on the first post initially.  But then I wondered if I might have done the wrong thing, and if this might be perceived as advertising. :-\  So I hastily removed this part of my post.

However, I found out later that, I needn't have worried about this and it would have been acceptable to have kept this on. :)