Author Topic: Pamplin family of Wimbledon  (Read 1280 times)

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pamplin family of Wimbledon
« on: Monday 26 March 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have posted about my searches for the Pamplin family of Wimbledon, and their connection with my great-grandfather Harold John Nicholls.

I have come across family photos (taken in Marlborough, Wilts?) this weekend of Amy Pamplin (1906) and her sisters that were sent to Harold. They have been signed 'Your sisters'. (If I had known of these photos sooner, then I could have saved many hours of family tree searching!!)

Does anyone have connections to the Pamplin family that may be able to tell me more?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Pamplin family of Wimbledon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
I've no connection to the family, but I see that Harold John Nicholls is probably illegitimate as there is no mother's name given on the GRO site on his birth registration.

Using the same site, Amy Elizabeth Pamplin was born 1906 with mother's maiden name COX. So it doesn't look as if she and Harold shared the same mother.

There are 9 births of Pamplin children with mother's maiden name Cox, registered in Kingston between 1903 (Henry David Frederick who died 1904) and 1917 (May Ellen)

"Harold Nichol" can be found with the family in 1911 described as nurse child (often similar to what we now call foster child) So I would guess that he was brought up by the Pamplin family and was regarded as a brother but was no blood relation.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

On Harold's birth certificate, he was born at the address of Mrs. Pamplin's parents, and his 'mother' - who gives her name as Sarah Anne Nicholls (father blank), gives the address that Harold is at in 1911. So he is either fostered or illegitamate, or both.

After finding the photos this weekend, it is reassuring to know that Harold had on-going contact with the Pamplin's, and that my previous research hadn't been in vain!

I hadn't spotted May Ellen previously, so I will look her up.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
These are the  Pamplin children I found in case you haven't found them, all mother maiden name Cox and all registered Kingston:

Henry David Frederick  born 1903  died 1904
Gladys Ethel born 1905
Amy Elizabeth born 1906
Herbert Henry born 1908
Winifred Alice born 1910
Maud Florence Mary born 1911
John Ernest born 1914
Leslie Charles born 1915
May Ellen born 1917

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - May Ellen now explains an entry on the 1939 list!

Offline SusieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello In4266
Just spotted your post from last year about photographs, this has got me quite excited.  Is there any chance of sharing, I would love to see pictures of my great grandfather's sisters?  Its possible I may already have them ... but no one labelled some old photographs I have, but there is a possibility I have never seen them before.  Knowing my family history, I strongly suspect he was illegitimate but brought up but my great grandfather's brothers family - fostered and therefore referred to as brother.  So far I have not come across Nicholls as a linked surname. 

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just sent you a message via your profile on this site. I believe that I have a picture of Amy Pamplin, although she has addressed it to 'Jon' or 'Son' - hard to tell via handwritiing. I belive 'Son' or 'Jon' may have been a nick-name of Harold's, as I also have some army photos from his regiment that also address him the same (that's a post for another day, as they could be pictures of great grandparents of others!).

Happy to compare photos and look for likenesses.

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
This is a picture of Harold and Leah's wedding - are some the women Pamplins, or are they Gregory family?