Author Topic: Photos of Pamplins in Marlborough?  (Read 618 times)

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photos of Pamplins in Marlborough?
« on: Monday 26 March 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching the history / origins of my gt-grandfather Harold Nicholls. He was living with the Pamplin family in Wimbledon in 1911. This weekend I came across photos sent to him by Amy Pamplin and her sisters, inscribed 'your sisters'. The photographer mark is Marlborough, Wiltshire.

I am yet to find a connection between the Pamplin family and Wiltshire. Just posting on the off chance that someone else may be able to find one. Harold did marry in Wiltshire, but not sure how he ended up there (or met his wife from Wiltshire).

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Pamplins in Marlborough?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
How is he described on the census you have ie visitor, nephew etc and how old was he then? 

I know Marlborough quite well so your post caught my eye.

Maybe he was adopted by the Pamplin family - any idea when Amy sent the photos? 

Did Harold name a father when he married? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ln4266

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Pamplins in Marlborough?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have posted about Harold before here : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674069.msg5201671#msg5201671

He is listed as a nurse child in 1911. The intriguing thing is that on his birth certificate, (April 1902) his father is blank but his mother 'Sarah Anne Nicholls' gives her address as 24 Caroline Road , Wimbledon - the same address as Harold is at in 1911. He was born at 2 Thornton Road - the same address as Mrs. Pamplin's (nee cox) parents. So either Harold was fostered / adopted or illegitamate. I'm unclear if Sarah Anne Nicholls existed, or was an alias!

The photos are with relatives at the moment, and I'm waiting for scans to be sent. However, Amy and her sisters look late teens / twenties. (I will have to do some more sleuthing when I get the scans!)

On Harold's wedding certificate, he puts 'unknown' for his father.  They married at Preshute, which I think is close to Marlborough. (photo below)