Author Topic: Why can't I open my Ancestry tree to a DNA match?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Why can't I open my Ancestry tree to a DNA match?
« on: Monday 26 March 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
This has happened twice now.

I try to invite a DNA match to view my tree using their user name and both times I get a prompt 'please enter a valid user name'. Both usernames are just ordinary forename and surname - not a fancy made up name.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (though its worked for other people) or could it be that they don't have an Ancestry account? I asked the first lady this but she said she did when she took the DNA test.

If I'm right, will it work if I ask them for their email address and send the invite via the email address box?

I do find Ancestry so very wearing...... :-[

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I open my Ancestry tree to a DNA match?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Not DNA, but I've had problems with inviting people to view my tree on Ancestry when I invite them via their user name. However, if I do it by their email address they get the invitation straight away. This works with people who subscribe to Ancestry and those who don't.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, groom. I think that must be the key to the problem. I'll have to ask them for their email addresses - just thought at this early stage it might scare some people off, but if there's no other way of doing it!

I also have a grumble with Ancestry's 'message centre! When you go into the outbox, there's absolutely no indication as to who each message was sent. Very offputting when you've sent quite a few messages, all with more or less the same wording, to try to get people's interest.

Plus, I'm still amazed at just how many people don't bother to reply. If someone bothered to message me, even if I wasn't interested, I'd still reply politely to that effect. Some people haven't got the manners they were born with!  ::)
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
I've had problems too, I think it is just another bug in Ancestry's system, there are also multiple bugs in the messaging system, you may think you have sent a message and actually it never went, or you think it has failed but actually it hasn't!  Lots of people, including me, are complaining about both.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
'There are many reasons why people may not be responding, but one important reason is that they may not have seen your message in the first place.  I have discovered there is an inconsistency in the messaging options available to DNA testers.

If you have DNA tested with Ancestry, there are two options available to contact matches - there is a GREEN messaging button on the DNA Profile page, and a BROWN (some will say ORANGE) messaging button on the Member Profile page.

Both buttons result in a message going to the recipient through the Ancestry messaging system.  However, only a message sent via the brown button results in an external email alert being sent to the recipient.  A message sent via the green button does not result in an external email alert.

What this means is if the recipient does not log onto Ancestry (or only logs on infrequently and is unfamiliar with the messaging system), they are not aware you have sent them a message.

I have also been advised that members who access Ancestry through some mobile devices don't have access to the messaging system and without an external email alert they will not know that you have sent them a message.

Anecdotally, members of the Facebook DNA groups I am in have reported a far better response rate to messages sent via the brown button.  Unfortunately, you can only send messages via the brown button if you have a subscription.

If you do have a subscription, I highly recommend sending your messages via the brown button on the Member Profile page rather than the green button.'

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766368.msg6191921#msg6191921

The above is a quote from this thread aired about a year ago - I wonder whether something similar is happening again.  It may be better still to use the brown button rather than the green one.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Well, that was interesting, Pheno.  I wondered why I was getting email notification of some incoming messages but certainly not all. What a shambles! Is Ancestry too big to worry about the small stuff, I wonder?

I'm pretty sure I've sent most if not all of my messages via the green button - its the first one you come across after all. However, I shall use the brown button in the future. I'm now wondering whether to repeat some of my messages - trouble is, you don't want to come across as too persistent or you'll put people off!!

HELP!!!

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
I'm now wondering whether to repeat some of my messages - trouble is, you don't want to come across as too persistent or you'll put people off!!

Jill, perhaps have a look at when they last logged in?

if it's very recent then the chances are they are aware you have tried to contact. if it's several months then it might be worth trying again?

Regards

Jill
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Online rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
'There are many reasons why people may not be responding, but one important reason is that they may not have seen your message in the first place.  I have discovered there is an inconsistency in the messaging options available to DNA testers.

I have tried using the different buttons in the past, and also reporting to Ancestry support that I think messages are not being delivered/received, and they just respond there are no reported issues. Even though I am reporting an issue :-)   The whole message system needs a rework !!! 
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
I think they probably have exactly the system they want!  They allow us to complain and we allow them to ignore us.   ;)
HELP!!!