Author Topic: Any idea which of the three "services" by Grandfather would have served in  (Read 427 times)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Hello
I would like to apply to the MOD for my Grandfather's Second World War Uk service record. The problem I have, is to work out which of the three services he served in ie Army, Navy or RAF.

I do not have any photographs of my Grandfather in uniform. My father once told me my Grandfather's job was to help build landing strips/runways which would fit as he drove a steamroller as a civilian occupation. I believe he had to carry out this work in the most adverse of circumstances.

Would this be something the Army would have undertaken, I am thinking of Royal Engineers or Pioneer Corp or would the RAF have done this?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am not sure if I can obtain the service records otherwise.

Many thanks in anticipation

kind wishes

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea which of the three "services" by Grandfather would have served in
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
The RAF had an airfield construction branch and both the RE and Pioneers would be a good fit, RN less likely I would have thought.  That gets us no further though!  Are there any clues at all in the family, like numbers that could be service numbers or units - were there any children born/did he marry while he was serving?  Is his name distinctive in any way - I see you have a lot of wide-spread Welsh names but the odd outlier in your profile, RAF names can be searched although it is not a complete record and only works if the name/initials are distinctive enough.

The application process does say that fees are not refundable.  However, I did have my cheque returned by the army when they found no record of my man.  Try telephoning Glasgow to double check on the policy on refunds - my thought process is if they will refund, then apply anyway.

Not much help I'm afraid.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea which of the three "services" by Grandfather would have served in
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello MaxD

I greatly appreciate your email.
Unfortunately all children were born by the time war broke out and the surname Howell is not unique sadly.

You are right I need to bite the bullet and apply to one out of the three and hope for a refund if my best guess is wrong. I am going to go for Army. Somehow I just could not imagine my Grandfather in the RAF. I seem to remember a photo of a man in Army uniform in my Grand mother's house so I will take my chance.

You have given me the impetus to make a decision. Thank you.

Best wishes

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire