Author Topic: "Bastardy Records" for Elizabeth Bamford  (Read 3010 times)

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Bastardy Records" for Elizabeth Bamford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mark, I have made a “boo-boo”.  You are right, I have the wrong year for the death of Richard Bamford, it was 1835 not 1836.  Attached is a copy of the Burial Register for St. Chad’s.  The situation is not helped because the Scribe has not filled in the exact year of burial after the “thirty” on the page heading, (but that’s no excuse for my mistake).

Before his death Richard was living at Sheep Holme in Spotland, the same place Alice and Elizabeth were living at the time of the 1841 Census.  Richard was a Weaver by trade, so I doubt he had any money to leave Alice.  Alice did die before Elizabeth, in 1877, Elizabeth died in 1916.  I haven’t explored if Alice left a Will, but that could contain the answer.

Thank you all again for your help.  I’m sure I will get there in the end.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: "Bastardy Records" for Elizabeth Bamford
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

Although the Baptism Register makes no reference to illegitimacy, it does look like Elizabeth was, or the couple were together, but unmarried?

As others have suggested, if there is a possibility of a Bastardy Case, I don't want to put you off looking.

Some of the Quarter (QS) / Petty Sessions examples seen, indicate there can be quite some detail, even cases when the child was two and four years old. One was even making two men pay half each!

Parish Meeting / Churchwarden / Constables Records / Accounts
Another QS Slip 1780s went to the Parish Constable, as the Mother had moved on and the Parishes were insisting she move back to the Baptism Parish, as those Parishes did not feel responsible to pay her any assistance / dole.

Father May Also Have Died
I wonder if Elizabeth's Father has also died?

Overseers of Poor Records
One QS slip I have seen was addressed to the Overseers of the Poor, so there is another set of records - the Overseers of the Poor to be consulted, especially if Elizabeth's Father has also died. But should be looked at anyway, as she might have applied to them.

Finding the Mother in Land Tax and Manor or Tithe Records
The next is a long shot, but if you have an address, sometimes these can be found or worked out in yearly Land Tax records, or Manor records like Manor Rentals (Tenancy) or Manor Accounts detailing Rents.

Land Tax list the Proprietor and those Occupying, or Manor records the Manor Tenants and by looking at previous years (although in some towns by this period, Land Tax were alphabetical) it may be possible to see her paying, then a male she might be living with paying? One point to bear in mind, by this period is that a few owners of property had paid to make their property exempt of Land Tax, so if the house was previously subject to Land Tax, it might not be now. Also some property was not subject to Land Tax.

Of course her house may be Tithable and appear on the Tithe Map, a Survey conducted in Parishes in the late 1830s / early 1840s of older Tithable property and farms, for the purpose of Commutation of Tithe. If so, the Map is interesting to see anyway and the Accompanying Apportionment Schedule for the Owner and Occupiers name should always be checked, for the address. Although, bear in mind sub-letting of property went on (one address divided into several Tenements) and the Tithe payer, might be the Land Owner or simply the main Occupier. These were not annual, so you cannot compare the address, before or after and only deal with older property subject to Tithe.

Mark