Author Topic: "Bastardy Records" for Elizabeth Bamford  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Bastardy Records" for Elizabeth Bamford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 August 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
PS Thinking about it another post here jogged my memory.

I think it was a petty or quarter sessions record  I'm sure someone who knows more will put me right.

There was an index though  Try Central Library site?

Good Luck!
Emms ;)
Look at Lancashire Archives catalogue LANCAT. Select Advanced Search. Use Bamford as your search term and enter this in 1st box on form. Put a year in if you want or leave it blank. Some petitions were made around time of birth, some when child was older and in need. Choose Quarter Sessions Petitions from drop-down list. Select Lancashire Archives in Repository box. Leave rest of search form empty.
There will only be a petition if mother divulged name of father and if there was need for father to be summonsed to contribute to child's upkeep. Parents may have already come to a private agreement.
Edit. Got into a muddle with quotes.
Cowban

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hope it works out.

Thank you.  Yes, I had the catalogue entry when I went and mine gave a lot of information in it.  I was wondering if they'd moved the catalogue too but even if they have it's evidently still on the Lancashire catalogue.
It was a couple of years ago or more when I went but although the catalogue was online for Preston and I admit I was adament they must have it, it turned out the records themselves had actually been moved to Manchester.

Thank you for the extra input.

I hope yours is one on there .  It may be all you need. 

Also, have you tried workhouse baptisms, if she was having a hard time?

Good luck

Emms

PS  Yes absolutely true  Rootschatters have given me so much help over the years, it;s not true, from records across the globe, though I'm a bit out of touch at the moment so I may owe some people replies.  I apologise!

:) :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just checked and my entry has gone from Lancat now so if you may have to look at Manchester Library too if you're unlucky or contacy them.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
I found a Removal Order for a  pregnant "Singlewoman" of mine from 1833. It was in Quarter Session Petitions in LANCAT. I read it on microfilm at the archives. So look at Removal Orders too in case the authorities tried to off-load her somewhere else, her being a pregnant widow with dependent children. Filiation & maintenance orders are the other relevant documents. Some men were issued with repeat orders if they didn't keep up payments.
Bastardy is also on the drop-down list. It has only 12 entries for Bamford.
You'll also get all petitions which mention the place Bamford.
Cowban

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
The LRO did a wonderful job of indexing the Bastardy Orders and Removal Orders in the court records, to the point that there is little not mentioned in the index entries. Normally omitted are the amounts ordered to be paid and whether the putative father turned up in court or not. Names, abodes and occupations are in the index.

Depressingly, these things were normally on pre-printed forms, so officials just needed to fill in the blanks.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 18 04:00 BST (UK) »

What is the LRO ?  I've got it coming up as the "Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter" !!!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
LRO is Lancashire record office  :)

I ordered a bastardy order sometime ago relating to OH's family which was posted to me.  I can still see the record on Lancat. 

It comes under the headings
Q - Lancashire Courts of Quarter Sessions.
S - Quarter Sessions: The Court in Session
P - Petitions
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Bamford, was born in Rochdale on 29th January 1839 and baptised at St. Chad’s Church on 9th June 1839.  Neither her Birth Certificate, nor her Baptismal Record, names Elizabeth’s Father.  Her Mother was Alice Whitworth, who was married to a Richard Bamford.  Richard Bamford died in 1836, three years before Elizabeth was born, so I have a sneaking suspicion that he may not be my Great-Grandfather.

Can anyone suggest how I might find out who my Great-Grandfather was?  I have enquired at St. Chad’s, but they don’t have the Parish Chest Records going back to 1839.  I have also enquired at Touchstones in Rochdale, but they don’t know the where-abouts of any 1800’s “Bastardy Records”.

Any help or suggestions anyone has, would be most appreciated.

Hello

You say Elizabeth Bamford (Mother Alice Bamford) was born Rochdale on the 29th January 1839 and Baptised 9th June 1839.

The Baptisms Solemnized in the Parish of Rochdale, says she was a "Widow".

So after five months, there appears to have been no claim by the Mother against Church Funds / Overseers of the Poor, on the basis of illegitimacy. Of course there can be a later claim, if the Mother's financial circumstances change.

The Parish of Rochdale (Bishops Transcripts) are clearly accepting her status as Widow, at Baptism.

If her husband left Alice money in a Will, there may be no claim for dole or assistance from the Overseers of the Poor, whether the child was illegitimate or not. If the Mother could get by with her own funds / income, or assistance from Family, there might be no Bastardy Case at all?

Did the late husband leave a Will? If so the Will may confirm, if you have the right death and death year.

Did Alice the Mother leave a Will when she died (assuming Daughter Elizabeth outlived her Mother), sometimes Wills explain relationships, sometimes not and can sometimes be 'bolt & braces' to any family tree relationship?

Mark

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:31 BST (UK) »

What is the LRO ?  I've got it coming up as the "Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter" !!!

Lancashire Archives.
Cowban