Author Topic: Viewing images on Familysearch  (Read 2169 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing images on Familysearch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
But smudwhisk, there doesn't appear to be a key above the camera for the example record in question, assuming I have found the correct one? Clicking on the camera brings up the " access at a family history center, etc." mentioned earlier.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
You are correct about that PB, the icons with a key only appear to show when searching through the catalogue and that is a recent introduction.  It looks like you have to expand the entry in the search results prior to clicking on the camera icon to check it doesn't say its restricted.  Not as clear unfortunately as the camera and key icon, they could really do with adding them through that view too. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Smudwhisk

Thank you for your help.  I am clearer now - I think!  Am I right in saying that you can only view the images if you have found them by searching in the Catalog, not by searching in the Records - even though 'cameras' are sometimes shown there?

Why do they make it so complicated?!!

Anyway, I'll persevere.

Thanks again,
Melbell

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Melbell

Sorry I appear to have confused things somewhat.  You can view through the search but only those that are viewable from home (the rest have to be viewed at an FHC etc).  Unlike with the catalogue, they've not used different icons to differentiate those viewable from home and those that have restricted access (although they have a third icon that is visible through the search indicating images viewable on other sites).  In light of this, what I would suggest you do is click on the entry you are interested in before clicking on the camera icon associated with it.  This will expand it and on the right side of the additional information it will tell you whether you can view it or whether it is a restricted image.  Hope this clarifies things a little more.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Smudwhisk, for your clear explanation and for finding the time to help me.  (I really ought to know - I've been using FS/IGI for years and years).  :-[

Melbell