Author Topic: Births of John (c.1903) and Robert (c.1906) Flanngan/Flanigan/Flanagan  (Read 1778 times)

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Births of John (c.1903) and Robert (c.1906) Flanngan/Flanigan/Flanagan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hopefully all my errors are now corrected  ... must be old age creeping in :-\

From the 1912 birth certificate that aghadowey found, it seems Rose Ann (the mother) had contact with the Downpatrick workhouse. Could it be that her sons John (c. 1903) and Robert (c. 1906) were born in the workhouse and this is why they do not seem to show up in the civil registration records? Perhaps they were registered under a different name. If so, any thoughts on a search strategy?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
I would think that children born in a workhouse more likely to be registered. The Workhouse was also the local hospital which could be why Rose's child was born there in 1912.

Have you searched for the 2 boys under McGraw/McGrath? What about tracing that family for clues to Rose and her children?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
How do you know that Robert and John are sons of Rose Ann?

There is a Robert Flannigan born to a Dorethea Flannigan in Belfast - could this be a sister of Rose and the child her nephew and not her son?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01743/1688319.pdf

There is a Dorothy Flannigan without a child in the same area of Belfast in the 1901 Census
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for the 2 boys under McGraw/McGrath?

Yes, and also searched the Roman Catholic Records on Findmypast.

What about tracing that family for clues to Rose and her children?

I presume you mean the "McGrath/Mcgraw" family. I have searched backward and tried to find a connection between that family and Rose Ann's family, the Flanagans (e.g. was Rose Ann's adopted mother Mary once a Flanagan?) The closest I can come is a Rosanna Flanagan born 12 Oct 1876 to James and Mary Ann (nee McCormick) Flanagan (https://goo.gl/LW8aFV) and the deaths of (her parents?) James in 1877 and Mary Ann in 1876. So also looked for a connection between McGrath/McGraw and McCormick (including variations), to no avail.

But that is a different path/story, and the focus here are the births of John (c.1903) and Robert (c.1906).

Offline QuickDraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
How do you know that Robert and John are sons of Rose Ann?

There is a Robert Flannigan born to a Dorethea Flannigan in Belfast - could this be a sister of Rose and the child her nephew and not her son?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01743/1688319.pdf

There is a Dorothy Flannigan without a child in the same area of Belfast in the 1901 Census

A possibility I suppose, or the two (Dorothy & Rose Ann) are cousins. Will see if I can find Dorothy's birth.