Author Topic: DNA Testing and Blood Group B+  (Read 2426 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing and Blood Group B+
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
I haven't done a DNA test yet. My only reason for doing one would be to find a potential father for my illegitimate great great grandmother on my father's side as I have had no joy following the usual routes (bastardy records etc.) I have a potential surname from family lore. I have traced all my lines back to the mid/ early 1700s, with a good degree of certainty, on all  except the illegitimate one. I am blood group B negative, a rarer group I believe. My dad is AB negative and my mum is B positive so I will follow this thread with interest :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
We only did our DNA tests as we were given them as Christmas presents.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
LizzieW

Fingers crossed - it might turn out to be the best Christmas ever ;D

Kim

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
My husband's results weren't very inspiring, so I'll wait to see what mine are.  Our eldest son had his DNA done with Ancestry (a gift to him from his partner) and they are more diverse than my husband's, so I'm expecting my results to be more diverse too, or else where did my son come from  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies. That's interesting about about the B groups showing up as European - I was curious about the B group as, apparently, the highest incidence of it appears in south east Asia, and gets less the further norther and west you travel  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

I still wonder about the usefulness of a test but it might be worth asking for one as a birthday present just out of curiosity and reading your replies I think MyHeritage sounds the best bet - it might well give me some clues to my grandfather's father.

My other grandfather, whose surname I had before marriage was, as far as I can see, pretty much 100% Essex right back to the C16th at least, and if anyone asks my ethnicity I always half jokingly reply "Trinovantes" - the Celtic tribe of pre-Roman Britain who lived in North Essex - but to be honest most DNA tests seem to give you such a mix of heritage that you can pretty much pick whatever one you want to be anyway.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.