Author Topic: Susana (Susannah) Kenworthy 1752 (The Strumpet) & beyond  (Read 868 times)

Offline matsonline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susana (Susannah) Kenworthy 1752 (The Strumpet) & beyond
« on: Tuesday 27 March 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Like many Kenworthy decendants of Thomas (born, Honley in 1773) we're stuck with his unmarried mother Susannah descibed in Thomas' baptism record as a 'strumpet'.
Her father we believe is John Kenworthy - there are a couple to choose from including John born, Almondbury 1727 who many people have marrying Hannah Wilson in 1745. This would be the same John & Hannah that Arthur Jessop mentions in his diary. Has anyone a list of children for this couple?
I have possible siblings for Susannah - Sarah, 1745: William, 1748 & John, 1754.
Another possible father for Susannah could be John Kenworthy (Kenneley) who married Sarah Haigh in 1734. If he is from the Slaithwaite Kenneley family it would be interesting as the names Susannah and Thomas are v popular within this family, Kenneley often being noted in the registers as a vulgar form of Kenworthy.
Any help or enlightenment would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Simon Kenworthy

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Susana (Susannah) Kenworthy 1752 (The Strumpet) & beyond
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon

I have no definitive answers, just comments.
I believe your Susannah is indeed the Susannah chr 1751, daughter of John, a labourer of Honley, and you have correctly identified her three siblings Sarah, William and John. The John Kenworthy/Hannah Wilson marriage is beautifully timed a few months before the birth of Sarah in 1745, so I would be happy accepting Hannah Wilson as Susannah's mother. The only birth I can see for a likely Hannah  Wilson is the baptism at Kirkburton 23rd July 1718, daughter of John Wilson of 'Mithorn Brigge', Wooldale. There is a John Kennerley chr 29th November 1718, son of John of Marsden, and another 8th August 1718 at Slaithwaite, son of an unnamed person of Lingards. John Kennerley of Linthwaite christened a daughter Martha on 31st July 1718, just to add to the confusion of Johns. It must be remembered that the Almondbury records were very badly kept 1703-27, with only, in my estimation, about a third of events being recorded (unless the population of the parish suddenly tripled in 1727 when a new vicar arrived!)
The birth of your Thomas was history repeating itself as an Abraham Kenworthy was christened in Honley 19th August 1733, son of Susan Kenworthy, the father being named as Abraham Lockwood.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline matsonline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,
Thanks v much for your reply. Its so frustrating! Wonderful that you have come to the same conclusions as me. I have a feeling that the John & Hannah are not S's parents as they were quite posh. They are the J & Hannah mentioned in Jessops diary. On the death of J's uncle they inherited the land & farms at Hades - see below. Although this also mentions the inheritance passing on to Susan & Martha (their children?). There is a Wilson family tree on Ancestry which mentions J&H but have other names for their children. If Susan & Martha are John & Hannahs children could Susan be our Susannah?? A tantalising thought! Thomas her son seems to have had a shaky start in life, perhaps he was disowned by his family. I have Susannah's death as April 1781, this seems to tally with Thomas becoming an apprentice aged 8 (from his obit.) Also from his obit. he was released from his apprenticeship before age 21. It has always puzzled me how Thomas within the space of a few years managed to be running a large succesful business - in the light of this info perhaps he finally came into his family inheritance which gave him a leg up?!
I will persue this line of thought & get back to you if I find anything.
Thanks again
Simon

"John Kenworthy of Hades 1769

Draft surrender 1 John Kenworthy of Hades in the Constabulary of Holmfirth, clothier (nephew of John Kenworthy of Hades, gentleman, deceased) and also Reverend John Woollin, Rector of Emley, clerk (brother and heir of Joseph Woollin of Wakefield, mercer, deceased) 2 Said John Kenworthy and Hannah his wife (for life with remainder) and then to Susan and Martha [?] Property: farm at Hades called Great Hades and the Little Hades, formerly in tenure of Edmund Heron, gentleman, and all closes belonging (Manor of Wakefield)"

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmm.... poshness does seem to be a problem, as John father of Susannah and her 3 siblings is resolutely a labourer and from Honley at all four christenings. On the other hand, the marriage to Hannah Wilson fits so well with the standard 'shotgun marriage,' but there are three baptisms in Kirkburton of Elizabeth, James and John in 1747, 1749 and 1751, all with father John that look likely candidates to be offspring of the John/Hannah marriage. (There may be others- I don't have info after 1753 for Kirkburton)
The John who married Sarah Haigh in 1734 is a clothier, not a labourer, so he doesn't fit well either.
What trade was Thomas apprenticed to, and what was his eventual successful business?
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline matsonline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Yes.
The address for father John for James' baptism is Laneshead, Cartworth. This is pretty near the Hades property he would eventually inherit - if it is him.
Being a nephew there is no reason he shouldnt be a labourer. If he came into money in 1769 probably all his kids would be born. The money might have gone to the poor side of the family. Interesting the way Jessop mentions the marriage of John & Hannah, something like 'I hear John Kenworthy has married Hannah Wilson Dr. Wilson's daughter', the note of surprise here would indicate a shotgun wedding! Also there is a very strong Honley here link to explore Arthur Jessop was from a Honley family so would certainly have known the Honley Kenworthy's in the first half of the 1700's.
Odd development - I have found a newspaper record of John Kenworthy putting up for sale the Hades estate in 1757. How could it then be passed on 12 years later to his nephew?
Another interesting story is an old Kenworthy Family legend which says we missed out on an inheritance of land, property  etc in the Holmfirth area this was linked to the name Gartside - I am looking into this as well.
Re Thomas we dont know much about his early life, possibly brought up in the workhouse or as parish poor, the guess is that he apprenticed in the woollen trade as he went on to rent land, house & the mill at Shelley Woodhouse where he lived for 70 years! He died in 1867 at 93, he had 148 decendants during his lifetime.
Thanks for looking into this for us.
Simon