Author Topic: Find your family, all long weekend  (Read 10656 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Find your family, all long weekend
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 08 April 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
And I agree with a member.  Why not give free dna. Like they do with there  search  engine / website.

Dorothy

Probably as it would work out too expensive. The whole idea behind giving the free weekends is to entice people into subscribing to Ancestry, or FindMyPast when they do the same. However, the idea seems to have backfired, judging by the number of people on here and on other forums who say they just wait for the free weekends. Also there are now quite a few people who have actually cancelled their subscriptions and wait for the freebies.

I know I have thought about doing the latter, but I think I would miss it too much. It would though be nice to be offered an incentive eg after two or three years of a continuous subscription to be told they were giving me an extra month free.

I could understand it if once you'd had a free trial you couldn't then have another, but to allow free trials every time seems a bit short sighted to me. It would be interesting to know how many people do then join after such a weekend.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:39 BST (UK) »

I could understand it if once you'd had a free trial you couldn't then have another, but to allow free trials every time seems a bit short sighted to me. It would be interesting to know how many people do then join after such a weekend.

I was quite busy over Easter so not online much, but found the Canadian records useful for a couple of branches of the family, so I've taken out a worldwide sub for the first time.  I've had other subs before, but not worldwide.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
I do agree, about the "time after time" of being able to take advantage of the freebies - once, twice even is OK, but every time = NO, NO, NO.  It just makes those of us who have taken the plunge, feel less inclined to help others.  In my case, I no longer respond to requests at these times.  Maybe I'm lucky in that OH and I have access to both FindMyPast and Ancestry.  Each to their own  :-*
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 08 April 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
 I have  access to both Ancestry and find my past. and my heritage.

but in a way whay would we need free dna each time like we can get on ancestry. when if you did have free dna you can only use it once. and ive heard it somewhere not sure where but apprently. how do you really know its your true reasults. 

theres also something im wearie of. with alot of  people who pretent to be what there not meaning fake sites  your not sure if you get anything you pay for anyway.

im not critaziing anyone. just a thought. as you hear so many Hoax's.

Dorothy