Author Topic: Help with a soldier please  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with a soldier please
« on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with this soldier and his uniform please? For an Ozzy cousin.

I believe he is in the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, but need confirmation.

His name is Charles William KENNARD b 5th April 1904 in South Shields. This pic shows him as a Corporal and they are not sure when it was taken but he emigrated to Oz before WW2 and joined the Oz Army.

Any help appreciated.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a soldier please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
His collar dogs do certainly look like KOYLI badges, with the rose in the center of the bugle.  His date of birth suggests he would have served post war and hence his name and details will not appear on line** as MOD still have the records.

MaxD

**A Charles William Kennard, presumably him, appears in the WW2 records on Ancestry Australia but I don't have access.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I agree with the KOYLI collar dogs as well.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
**A Charles William Kennard, presumably him, appears in the WW2 records on Ancestry Australia but I don't have access.

I took a look, and it is only an index.  It gives a birth date/place of 05 Aug 1904, South Shields England and enlisted in Newcastle New South Wales.  His service number: NX1357  and next of kin is Ellen Kennard.

There is a link if one wanted to purchase his records, but it results in an error.  After a bit of snooping around, I think it was meant to link to this:
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4864714&isAv=N

I can't seem to find how to get farther than that.  ???

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I took a look, and it is only an index.  It gives a birth date/place of 05 Aug 1904, South Shields England and enlisted in Newcastle New South Wales.  His service number: NX1357  and next of kin is Ellen Kennard.

There is a link if one wanted to purchase his records, but it results in an error.  After a bit of snooping around, I think it was meant to link to this:
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4864714&isAv=N

I can't seem to find how to get farther than that.  ???

The OP will have to do a general Name search on the Aus NA website that you linked to bbart as the page linked to times out after a while & when the search results come up, then click on the 'Request Copy' tab top right of the page as the records haven't been digitized as yet. This is why you couldn't get any further.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Another index site for those who served in WW2 is the nominal roll.  It shows that he was discharged 28 December 1942 and at the time of discharge was in 2/1 machine gun battalion.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?ServiceId=A&VeteranId=121138

You may find information on this battalion on the Australian war memorial site.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you every one for the information. All after I had gone to get my beauty sleep.  ;D

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg