Author Topic: Maternity hospitals in Dumfries during 1930s?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maternity hospitals in Dumfries during 1930s?
« on: Tuesday 27 March 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My late grandfather said he was born at the Moat Brae house in Dumfries in 1930 but I cannot find any records that suggest it was used for maternity services as well as being a nursing home. So I was wondering if anyone know if births did take place at Moat Brae or if there were any other places in Dumfries that was used for maternity services before Cresswell Hospital was built in 1960s?

TIA
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maternity hospitals in Dumfries during 1930s?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
I saw that but there's no references of births taking place at Moat Brae while it was being used as a nursing home.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
I agree that there is nothing online for Moat House to suggest that births took place there.

However, as it was a private hospital/nursing home it would probably have offered maternity services as well. Remember no NHS in 1930.  It would have cost a lot of money to have your baby there I would think. The term Nursing Home was not as we envisage it today for care of the elderly and infirm. In modern terms it would be the same as going private for your medical care.

Hope this helps a little.

Do you have a copy of your grandfather's birth certificate to confirm place of birth?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
I agree that there is nothing online for Moat House to suggest that births took place there.

However, as it was a private hospital/nursing home it would probably have offered maternity services as well. Remember no NHS in 1930.  It would have cost a lot of money to have your baby there I would think. The term Nursing Home was not as we envisage it today for care of the elderly and infirm. In modern terms it would be the same as going private for your medical care.

Hope this helps a little.

Do you have a copy of your grandfather's birth certificate to confirm place of birth?

Dorrie

I did wonder if the maternity services in the nursing homes would be expensive. As far as I know, my grandfather's parents were farmers so I don't think they would be able to afford a private maternity care. Unless it was an emergency?

I don't have a copy of his birth certificate unfortunately.

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
It may well have been that your great grandmother was advised against giving birth at home. Do you know how old she was and how many previous children she had before giving birth to your grandfather in 1930? You say the family were farmers so they must have lived in a rural community so maybe this could have been another factor in the birth taking place in Moat House. Just a thought regarding the cost is that Moat House offered this service for women who needed their services for a nominal fee.

Maybe it would be worth ordering a copy of your grandfather's birth certificate from Scotlands People to confirm his place of birth. The cost is £12.00 + postage and you can order it online.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie

P.S. You could contact Dumfries & Galloway Family History & Genealogy - Phone number 01387 260301 or email  www.research@dumgal.gov.uk  and see if they have anything further on Moat House
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
There are a number of birth announcements in the newspaper archives 1930's and 40's.  Who you looking for?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
It may well have been that your great grandmother was advised against giving birth at home. Do you know how old she was and how many previous children she had before giving birth to your grandfather in 1930? You say the family were farmers so they must have lived in a rural community so maybe this could have been another factor in the birth taking place in Moat House. Just a thought regarding the cost is that Moat House offered this service for women who needed their services for a nominal fee.

Maybe it would be worth ordering a copy of your grandfather's birth certificate from Scotlands People to confirm his place of birth. The cost is £12.00 + postage and you can order it online.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie

P.S. You could contact Dumfries & Galloway Family History & Genealogy - Phone number 01387 260301 or email  www.research@dumgal.gov.uk  and see if they have anything further on Moat House

Dorrie,

My grandfather was the second child as he had an older sister. His mother was 31 when she gave birth to him. Both he and his sister were the only children that my great grandparents had. I'll have a look in the newspapers too for the announcement in case.

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
There are a number of birth announcements in the newspaper archives 1930's and 40's.  Who you looking for?

Don

Don, My grandfather was called James Weir, born on 25th November 1930 to James weir Snr and Christina