Author Topic: Thomas PARK  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Linjoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas PARK
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thomas PARK was an excise officer who moved around England, then Scotland and Northern Ireland.  I am trying to track down his children and have two possibilities at Kirkby Lonsdale:

Mary Jane PARK bap 10 April 1831 Kirkby Lonsdale - Thomas and Elizabeth
Rowland Thomas PARK bap 5 April 1834 Kirkby Lonsdale - Thomas and Elizabeth

I know (from newspapers) Thomas PARK was there still there late 1834 but not sure if both  the above children were his or whether another 'Thomas and Elizabeth' were having children at the same time.

Would someone be able to do these lookups for me?

Many thanks
Linda

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas PARK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
If you know Elizabeth’s maiden name you can search for any births in Scotland
On Scotland’s People.

You may know the following:  Rowland, wife & family in Kendal 1861 census.

There is a burial record on Freereg for Rowland, age 38, 18 Dec 1872 St Michael, Bootle, Cumberland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Rowland seem to have remained in Westmorland so my gut instinct is that not the son of 'your' Thomas and Elizabeth.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Rowland seem to have remained in Westmorland so my gut instinct is that not the son of 'your' Thomas and Elizabeth.

Annette

Was thinking that myself looks like he is on the 1841 Census in Kendal Westmoreland and not with any of the parents mentioned

Rosie

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see there was only one Rowland Thomas Park born in 1834, he did however have a son Rowland Thomas Barrow Park born Kendal, in 1858, the mother was Elizabeth Lancaster, Rowland seniors wife.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Linjoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies.
Colin - yes, he did die in Bootle (Rowland T PARK) so your burial date was 2 days after his death (thank you).  I have looked on Scotland's People but the one child that I know of from the census who was supposedly born in Scotland was not.  Either born elsewhere or a relative (1841).  It is the maiden name I am trying to confirm.
Rosie and Annette - yes he is by himself in 1841 and I am a bit 'iffy' about him but he did have the same parents at the correct time - hence my original post.  I would like to rule him in or out but only a full transcript of the baptism would do this.
Thanks again, Linda

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage on Freereg (OPR on Anc……….y)

Thomas Parke married Elizabeth Berry St Mary the Priory 3 Nov 1824 Lancaster
By Licence, both single of the parish of Manchester. Witnesses William & Samuel Jackson.

The only other Thomas & Elizabeth marriage in the North West of England, is Thomas Park to Elizabeth Germaine 2 Feb 1833 Haversham, Westmorland. I realise that they might have married elsewhere.

One of the above had a Daughter (Freereg) Elizabeth Ellison Parke born 20 Jan 1835 baptism 22 Mar 1835 St Mary the Priory, abode Skerton, Lancaster, father an Officer in the Excise.

Hope this leads you somewhere?

Colin

Offline Linjoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Yes - another marriage of Thomas PARK to Elizabeth MAUGHAM in 1827 Whickham, Durham which is the couple I have been tracking.  Elizabeth's father and grandfather were also 'officers of excise' which makes me think I have the correct couple, but moving counties makes everything so much more difficult.  I believe the Elizabeth Ellison PARK (b Lancaster) was theirs plus a son Charles born in Liverpool, also.
It is the two Kirkby Lonsdale baptisms I would like to sort out.  I think Mary Jane PARK bap 10 April 1831 belongs to this couple but not so sure about Rowland Thomas PARK bap 5 April 1834.
Thanks,
Linda

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 01:35 BST (UK) »
I think the eldest son Thomas born circa 1829 England (per 1841 census) was the Thomas baptised 19/6/1829 Gateshead, Durham which follows on from the marriage you've found in Durham 1827.

Now it gets a bit confusing for me - you said at the outset that Thomas Park moved around, born Scotland, 3 children born in England, another born in Scotland, and that he also went to Northern Ireland.   I found a Thomas Park on the 1861 census - right sort of age, born Scotland, a widower, with 2 sons born in Ireland (later census' show this to have been in Buncrana, Co. Donegal, N.I.) - however, this Thomas is a Foreman at Gas Works.   I 'assumed' this was still your man and his career as a customs officer had ended.     

By 1861 a Thomas (now widowed) 54 born Scotland and sons all seem to be in Bristol.   There's a Thomas Park who married a Mary Dunstan on 10/6/1858 Bristol, son of a Thomas Park, and feel sure that this is Thomas junior as the following census shows he was born in Gateshead.   The fact that the Thomas born 1829 Gateshead is also in Bristol convinced me that the older Thomas was indeed his father, together with 2 sons born in Northern Ireland where we know your Thomas went.  The 2 sons born in Ireland being William John ca.1845 and Charles Crawford bc.1847 - however, there are some trees on Ancestry that just show these 2 boys stating parents as Thomas Park and Helen McKay married 1837 in Lanarkshire.    But there are no sources shown and the births/baptisms of the 2 boys clearly not found which begs the question of how they knew the mother was named Helen McKay??  Did they simply find the marriage of a Thomas Park to a Helen McKay and presume they were the parents of said William John and Charles Crawford??  Why no children between 1837 and 1844??   It just seems a little odd to me.

So now I'm confused by the assumption I have made in that the Thomas in Bristol (died 1866) is your man when perhaps he isn't.   It just seems a huge coincidence that the son Thomas b.1829 Gateshead appears in Bristol as the same time the 1861 census one does.

Whilst I see that all 3 Park boys mentioned above all married in Bristol it's not possible to view the original records online.  Only know fathers name for all 3 is Thomas.

It looks to me like your Thomas and Elizabeth had:

Thomas bp.19/6/1829 Gateshead, Durham
Mary ca.1831 - possibly the Mary Jane bp.10/4/1831 Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland
Elizabeth Ellison bp.22/3/1835 Lancaster, Lancashire
Charles Crawford Clarkson bp.20/11/1836 Liverpool (died?)
Ann bc.1839 Linlithgow, West Lothian
plus more in Northern Ireland, one being another Charles Crawford ca.1847?? 

Just seems too much of a coincidence that another Thomas born the same sort of time in Scotland had a son Charles Crawford in N.I.  Surely they must be the same Thomas especially as Elizabeth Ellison Park also married in Bristol in 1857?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk