Author Topic: HENLEN  (Read 433 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HENLEN
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 04:02 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann HENLEN married Joseph FAWCETT at Bathurst NSW in 1852.  I have been unable to find origins for Mary Ann.  There is a HENLEN family in Bathurst (of German origin) but they arrived in 1856 at Botany Bay - so after the marriage of Mary Ann and Joseph.  Connection therefore unlikely.  Anyone interested in George HENLEN from Germany, resident Bathurst, is welcome to a copy of my notes.  Mary Ann does not show up as a convict under HENLEN or HANLON. I have not located her as a free or assisted migrant.  Mary appears to have been born in 1829 and there is a birth of a Mary HANLON in 1830 daughter of William and Catherine. I haven't viewed that record at SRO yet.  In one document Mary's maiden name shows up as MILLS but it could be a red herring.  Would be very grateful for any suggestions.  This has been a very long-standing brick wall.  J

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HENLEN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 04:14 BST (UK) »
Yes checked the Vnumber 1577/1830 V18301577 125.   Volume 125 is one of those volumes not available at SRO.  Will have to check the Nick Vine Hall book of parish registers to see where the register is held. 

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
There´s a family tree on Ancestry stating.

Mary Ann Henlen (parents unknown)
Born 1829 • Cambridgeshire, England
Died 1880 • Newtown, New South Wales

Married to Joseph Fawcett (1814-1897):
6 Apr 1852 • Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia

Child: Joseph Fawcett
17 MAY 1853 • Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dave, It is the correct marriage and child and I have seen that tree but unfortunately there is no source given for Cambridgeshire as a place of birth and doubly unfortunately the owner of that tree in the past has been unhelpful. I am always happy to share but in this instance it has always been one-way.  I might try contacting him again.  Wish me luck!  J

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Family research lives from sharing and helping  :)

I couldn´t find an entry on FindMyPast for Mary Ann Henlen, 1829, Cambridgeshire

If you think Mary Ann is German then she might have been called
Maria or Marie / Anna, Anne or even Johanna
Henlen, Heinlein, Hainlein, Hänlein  ??? ???

Happy hunting

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 09:51 BST (UK) »

What certificates do you have for BDM events for Mary and her family.

Can you list the details on the marriage certificate, 1852.

"...Mary appears to have been born in 1829..............one document Mary's maiden name shows up as MILLS............"

What document is this?

Where do you see a possible birth year for Mary?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
My apologies.  I would have posted this more promptly but my internet provider has been off the air. 

The name HENLEN is on the marriage certificate to Joseph FAWCETT.  She was a spinster and signed her name with an "x".  No ages are shown.  Her name is shown as MILLS on the marriage certificate of her son in 1876 (his first marriage).  Her maiden name is not shown at all on the second marriage certificate of her son in 1898. Her birth year has been evaluated from her death certificate and from the transcription of her headstone (51 years old in September 1880) = 1829 - parents are "unknown". Her death certificate shows that she was born in England but the number of years in the colony looks like 31 but possibly 51. If 31 years in the colony that puts her arrival in 1849. I may have to pay a transcription agent to eyeball the original entry - very hard to read. That's all there is in the way of documentation for her.  Unlikely that she was German but not impossible I guess, the HENLEN name seems to just be coincidentally the name of a German family in Bathurst.   

Thank you, J.